PDA

View Full Version : Every now and then, you gotta say, what the hell....

UberSuperPlaya
04-14-2004, 03:36 PM
I know I shouldn't have played post flop. Folding was the correct call, I think. I figured what the hell, I'd take a flyer and bet and see what happened....

After the hand was over, I showed the table my cards. I normally don't do that. The button's response was "omg".

I proceeded to win about $13.00 from this hand, and 31 others over a short lunch break at this table. I wonder how much my showing my bluff contributed to my final winnings, as perhaps I had more people calling then they normally would?

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, Button raises, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG 3-bets, MP calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG calls, MP folds, Button calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG folds, Button calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, Button folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jh Ac (one pair, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.50 BB. </font>

sublime
04-14-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the hand was over, I showed the table my cards. I normally don't do that. The button's response was "omg".

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see where your reckless play was. Maybe a turn check would have been good. I dunno, maybe button was holding 88 and you had 6 outs?

Tosh
04-14-2004, 03:47 PM
If you fold for 1 bet on the flop then you are throwing away money.

'Bluffing' with the nut no pair is not going to make you money either.

kiemo
04-14-2004, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I proceeded to win about $13.00 from this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?

The final pot was really 10.5 BB (your last bet isnt considered part of the pot unless someone calls it), of which 5 BB was money placed into the pot by you, hence you really won about $5 from this hand.

UberSuperPlaya
04-14-2004, 04:39 PM
I stated I won $13.00 from that hand, and 31 others over my short lunch break...

Sarge85
04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Well you'd at least call a bet on the flop - so I can see betting it - and having not seen any resistence - i can see leading the turn as well.

The river though..... good read on your opponents

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Nottom
04-14-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'Bluffing' with the nut no pair is not going to make you money either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been experimenting with this a bit recently, I'm pretty sure you have to bet it sometimes against semi-observant opponents.

Tosh
04-14-2004, 06:00 PM
I will often play a hand like this upto the river, but its not a bluff against most opponents.

ggano
04-15-2004, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...but its not a bluff against most opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get this part. You're saying it's a value bet? What do you mean "against most opponents"?

Tosh
04-15-2004, 02:38 AM
I will frequently bet it on the flop and turn when I believe I still have the best hand. Just a case of making my opponents pay to outdraw me. When I get to the river though I'm normally checking and acting depending on my read of my opponent.

Betting the nut no pair in these low limit games is basically not a bluff.

ggano
04-15-2004, 03:04 AM
OK, that makes sense. In this particular case, however, it doesn't seem likely you're ahead when the K and Q fall on the flop.

Thebram
04-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Tosh-

Surely you're not saying our Hero could have felt he had the best hand after the flop are you? With a button raise and an UTG limp-reraise, I'd find it hard to believe AJo is the best hand.

I don't really like the flop bet, but since both raisers show major weakness by just calling, I dont really see anything wrong with continuing to be aggressive.

I'm guessing the button had pocket Js or lower, and figured that he couldn't beat anything that our Hero would have bet out with on the flop.

Tosh
04-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Unlikely but I believe betting is still correct. So is betting the turn IMO but I dislike a river bet unless you have a very good read. But to be honest what hand that you aren't ahead of calls you to the river and folds ?