PDA

View Full Version : Bluffing with the best hand?

offTopic
04-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Online 10-handed 3-6.

I open-raise UTG+2 with 99.
CO 3-bets, all fold to me, and I call.

Flop K32...I checkraise, CO calls.

Turn 8, I bet, CO folds.

Standard play?

LivingLegend58
04-14-2004, 05:25 PM
I like it, it may push him off a better hand. But you still may have been ahead.

tripdad
04-14-2004, 05:59 PM
i like the play too. i'm not sure you should make it "standard", though. there is a time and place for it, but it should be somewhat random. if it is "standard", your opponents will eventually pick up on it.

now, the open raise with 99 is a must. also, i think your early position actually helps here, as an unfamiliar opponent usually puts you on AK/AQ, and from CO will 3 bet w/pp 10's or better.

cheers!

sthief09
04-14-2004, 06:14 PM
I like the play.

But if I was him and had AA, AK, or KK I would trap you and it would hurt. Also, a calling station will call you down with TT or JJ. This player is probably either weak-tight or has low 3-betting standards, so you definitely picked the right person to do it against.

I hope you would've folded to a turn raise or a flop 3-bet.

offTopic
04-14-2004, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the play.

But if I was him and had AA, AK, or KK I would trap you and it would hurt. Also, a calling station will call you down with TT or JJ. This player is probably either weak-tight or has low 3-betting standards, so you definitely picked the right person to do it against.

I hope you would've folded to a turn raise or a flop 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the plan. The more I think about it, unless he specifically had the other 99, or maybe TT, I think I most likely had the best hand.

After I bet the turn, the pot is 6.5 BB, which is just a bit under the 7-1 he would need to call with two overcards in an attempt to suck out, so I'm reasonably happy with the play overall.