PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds

Barry_G
04-14-2004, 02:24 PM
PP 20+2 multi. 3rd hand.

I'm dealt KK on the button. There is a min-raise to T30 and one call. I make it T150. Both call. 10 high flop and I push.

Both call. I don't improve and both show AA.

10 handed and three of the hands are AA,AA,and KK. I'm having a hard time believing that.

Lost Wages
04-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Would you have believed it if it had been your KK against QQ and QQ?

Lost Wages

Barry_G
04-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Nah, I wouldn't believe that either smart ass.

Lost Wages
04-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Every friggin day some newbie who has suffered a tough beat comes stumbling into this forum wanting to know "what the odds were". It's hilarious. Do you really want to know what the odds were? A million to one. There, happy now?

Lost Wages

toots
04-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey, I was playing the other day and had A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif and the other guy had 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif and the third guy had 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

What are the chances of that happening?

Well, slimmer than AA vs AA vs KK. (although it's pretty much the same as the odds of A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif vs A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif vs K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif)

I mean, what's the point? The odds of any three specific hands being dealt are pretty slim. We only notice when they look pretty like AA or KK.

Barry_G
04-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Don't reply next time. Simple as that.

Barry_G
04-14-2004, 03:09 PM

TomCollins
04-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Since playing live is always more accurate than the rigged online sites, I have a similar example. I was dealt AA. Two players are reraising preflop, so I come in for the ride. Board brings many scare cards, and we check it down on the river.

They both turn over KK and I scoop a sizable pot.

Play enough poker, you will see crazier things. I found this hand unusual since it was the only time I won with QQ, KK, or AA on my 3 day trip out of 9 tries.

daryn
04-15-2004, 01:47 AM
there may have been a reason your AA didn't win so much. you didn't re-raise preflop, just "came along for the ride"? also what kind of "scare cards" can fall when you hold AA? juice that pot!

mackthefork
04-15-2004, 09:08 AM
toots reply is the one which explains this the best. I had an even more unlikely occurance I limped in with AA and the pot was eventually capped preflop by a guy who turned out to have 10 8 offsuit, anyway the flopped a straight and took a 30+ BB pot down. What are the chances, where's the justice. All combinations of hands are unlikely you just gotta live with it sometimes. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slacker13
04-16-2004, 03:27 PM
What are the odds that this same post will show up at least 30 more times before June 1st?

Nottom
04-16-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the odds that this same post will show up at least 30 more times before June 1st?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say thats about as close to guaranteed as you can get.

Im Just A Bill
04-16-2004, 05:03 PM
The odds of the hands above are exactly the same as you having any pair and the other two players having any 4 specific cards.

Nothing magical. Given enough time, it is likely to see any and all possible hand combinations.

Bottom line in this case, sucks to be you. Hopefully better luck next time.

Im Just A Bill
04-16-2004, 05:29 PM
BTW, (if I did the math right), the odds are approx.
6396 to 1.

for any pair with 2 opponents having all 4 of the next rank up.

Lost Wages
05-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Forgot to mention that KK actually does better against AA & AA than it does against a single AA. Not to mention that you will triple-up instead of double-up those times that you do win.

Lost Wages