PDA

View Full Version : Need advice- how do you play this?

wayabvpar
04-14-2004, 01:49 PM
OK here goes-
$10+$1 Stars 2 table SnG. Down to 8 players- 2 big stacks ~t7000, low stack is around t1000. Blinds 100/200.

I am in the BB with t1730 after posting, and catch 75o (monster!). EP (t2300 or so) limps, all fold to me, and I check.

Flop- AK5 rainbow. I check, EP checks.

Turn- (AK5)7. I bet 400, EP calls.

River- 3 (no flush).

How do you play this? Results below in white.

<font color="white">I shoved my remaining ~1100 in. EP called and turned over AKs. Ouch. </font>

Che
04-14-2004, 04:37 PM
wayabvpar-

[ QUOTE ]
How do you play this?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the heat of the moment, I probably go broke on this hand, too. After busting out I would realize that his turn bet is one of two things:

1. A hand that beats you. Most likely A7s, A5s, 55, 77. I'm a little surprised by the AK limp with barely more than 10xBB, but it happens (obviously).
2. A hand you beat. AQ, AJ, Axs, KQ.

The problem with the allin on the river is that all the hands that beat you will call, but many of the hands you beat may fold so your reward doesn't justify the risk IMHO.

If I was willing to play this for my remaining 1100 chips (and I would be against many opponents), I would check-call since many of the hands you beat that will fold if you push will push in or bet after you check. So, with the check-call you win more when you win and you lose fewer chips when you lose (if the hands that beat you value bet and you just call).

Tough one.

Che

Poker Jon
04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
To add to Che's post.

Check calling also allows you to lose fewer chips.

If I had AK in this situation, I probably wouldn't put you all in as I would WANT you to call, so you may only lose half of your stack. Of course, the call in this situation is automatic IMO.

Jon

Mors
04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm a newb, but I'd have bet on the river, but not pushed, seeing as you weren't desperate for chips.
By pushing, what are you asking him to do? Either call you, to which he must have a good hand, that could possibly beat you. To fold, where your push was worthless (apart from the pot). Or to bet, where he may call you with nothing or a pair, he may fold, where you win with not that much risk, or he may come over the top, and depending on what you think of him you can decide what you think he's upto, but it gives you an option to get out cheaply or take a nice pot, if he hadn't have had AK and you'd have read him right.
Unless you pushing with the sole intention of not getting a call, and to grab the pot, then I'd have bet differently. But if you were doing it to secure the pot, I think you did the right thing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was unlucky that the sneaky git was sandbagging though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Next time /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mors

SaintAces
04-15-2004, 09:48 AM
he has NO read that shows him he is in the slightest way behind! It's a push, that, or a check/raise all in - TO INDUCE A BLUFF.

LetsRock
04-15-2004, 09:58 AM
I would have busted (or lost the hand) just as you did. You had no idea that he had a strong hand (no pfr, no bet, just call, call, call).

There's no way I wouldn't have ended up all in if I had bet this hand at all - if I make a small bet and he comes over the, top I'm shoving.

Not having seen how the villain played up to now, it's hard to say if he played the hand well or played the hand poorly and just got undue reward.

wayabvpar
04-16-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not having seen how the villain played up to now, it's hard to say if he played the hand well or played the hand poorly and just got undue reward.

[/ QUOTE ]

He hadn't made any plays that drew attention to him, so I didn't have a read (he was a Sklansky 'typical opponent'! /images/graemlins/grin.gif). I hate the way he played the hand myself- why give someone a chance to suck out on you? If the river is a 7 or 5, he is meat.

Thanks for the responses!

LetsRock
04-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Well as it turned out, he followed the TOP to a tee - you played your hand different that you would have had you known what his cards were.

I think it's bad play myself - there's no way I don't bet something on the flop or the turn. I'm coming from the blind; nobody expects the blind to have that kind of hand (which is why I love to limp from the blinds with AK!). He was obviously trying to induce a bluff and you just got real unfortunate that you made a hand with your rags.