PDA

View Full Version : Left vs Right Brained

JDErickson
04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
I was contemplating life the universe and such last night while not being able to sleep. I started thinking about the personality needed to be a succesful poker player.

Are most successful poker player left or right brained?

arkady
04-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Looking at the professionals, it seems both sides do well.

People like Howard Lederer or Seidel are math oriented
People like Scotty Ngyen or Ivey are creative ( i have no basis for making that stipulation, but they seem to win based on psychological factors)

Of course tournament players are a different breed, but since all 4 play high stakes cash games - perhaps it can apply.

bisonbison
04-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Remind me which brain side does which?

I play with my hypothalumus.

spamuell
04-14-2004, 01:15 PM
I play with my hypothalumus.

So that's what you kids are calling it these days.

JDErickson
04-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Left brained people are more analytical.

Right brained people are more creative.

arkady
04-14-2004, 01:22 PM
So when you get hungry, do you find yourself craving for a well cooked AA?

Homer
04-14-2004, 01:44 PM
I took an IQ type test before that showed what percentage left-brained and right-brained you were. If I can find it, I'll post it here...

JDErickson
04-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Heres one I found:

Left Brain Right Brain test (http://http://brain.web-us.com/brain/braindominance.htm)

sthief09
04-14-2004, 01:55 PM
I would think analytical thinkers would be better at limit (the science), and creative thinkers would be better at no limit (art).

But there's absolutely no question that no one can be a great player without being great at thinking both analytically and creatively.

JDErickson
04-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Well these are my thoughts. First of all I am extremely left brained. On the test above I scored 15 left and 4 right. I don't profess to be an expert player but I have been winning.

I would think that Ring games would be best for Left brained people and NL would tend towards a balanced person. NL requires analytical thinking but also requires a dash of creativity thrown in. High ring games I think would also require a bit of balance also.

Just my thoughts

Jim

Homer
04-14-2004, 02:04 PM
I think this (http://www.rcw.bc.ca/test/personality.html) is the test I took before.

I just took it and got 76.2%/23.8% left/right and 57.1%/42.9% auditory/visual. My "personal evaluation" is:

"Homer, your results indicate a strong left-hemisphere dominance with a mild preference for auditory processing. This blend would suggest that you are an extremely efficient person, logical perhaps to an extreme. You tend to structure your life and learning in very precise ways.

You benefit from experience, seek the rational in situations and feel most comfortable with routine.

You are a detail person. You see each piece of a puzzle or situation with equal clarity and value, and thrive on your ability to fit each piece into a unifiying structure.

Your learning style tends towards the auditory, which suggests that you process inputs sequentially and classify each before moving on to the next. You do, however, possess sufficient visualization skills and interest to supplement the auditory tendency and render you more active than a person who is purely auditory.

In all likelihood you will be somewhat reserved in appreciating your own talents and understate your own abilities even to yourself. You will organize your time and set schedules for yourself and, in that sense, lose sight of spontaneity and other needs - both of yourself and others. Your enviable organization, structure, and efficieny make you a valuable asset to a team effort."

So, in terms of poker, the third paragraph tells me I am, or will be, a good player, and the fifth paragraph tells me I will never make full use of my poker skills because I will never think I'm good enough to play above 2/4. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-- Homer

Homer
04-14-2004, 02:05 PM
I tried that one as well. I like the one I posted a bit more.

Bob T.
04-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Are most successful poker player left or right brained?

Yes.

Ok, a more serious answer. I think you have to be able to use both, and that is what makes them the most successful players. Whatever their most dominant style is, it has to be supported by the other side.

I think limit play might be more analytical, and nolimit play more creative. But there is certainly room and requirements for both kinds of thought in both games.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Bob T.
04-14-2004, 02:38 PM
LMAO, I took the test that Homer linked, and I was 52/48 left/right. No wonder I answered the way I did.

Later,

Bob T.

JDErickson
04-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Link doesn't work for some reason. Here it is

http://brain.web-us.com/brain/braindominance.htm

bisonbison
04-14-2004, 02:56 PM
I can't really comment about who would be more successful in the long run, because I feel that as long as someone has a decent handle on the math and on the art of reading hands, that there's a lot of successful variations on style.

I do know that the number one trait that seems to be important is an ability to quickly focus, analyze and decide.

That may sound like a more logical approach, but it could be very intuitive for some people, just so long as they're able to center themselves, pick out the important details and choose an appropriate response.

BottlesOf
04-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I got 12/6 L/R, and I now think I can feel my left brain working more than my right.

pudley4
04-14-2004, 04:50 PM
I got a 17/1 L/R on the one test /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And about 65% left/70% visual on the other. This part of the description is very accurate:

Frequently you may find that you can "see" where the other person is going before he gets there and in this way can be impatient with roundabout language

Bingo /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tripdad
04-14-2004, 05:35 PM
jd,

i'm concerned that you are not able to sleep. please post some example thoughts or stresses in your life, and maybe we can all help. please use the "thought and stress converter" so we can more easily read your post.

on second thought, maybe just a shot of whiskey (just one) about a half hour before nighty time will help. also, i sell Serta mattresses, and they really do wonders in terms of reducing pressure points, thus allowing you to sleep more peacefully when you do sleep. try latex or viscoelastic foam...stay away from innerspring if you can afford it.

BTW, on Homers test: left...57.1% right...42.9% auditory... 61.1% visual...38.9%

i am better at limit than no limit, though i am decent in no limit tourneys, i just suck at no limit ring games.

cheers!

JDErickson
04-14-2004, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm concerned that you are not able to sleep. please post some example thoughts or stresses in your life, and maybe we can all help. please use the "thought and stress converter" so we can more easily read your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. Nothing so earth shattering as this. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sleeplessness caused by an after work power nap that lasted a bit too long.

Thank you for your concern

sthief09
04-14-2004, 06:07 PM
I got 18/0 L/R...

sfer
04-15-2004, 03:18 AM
Does that mean you've got half a brain? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif