PDA

View Full Version : Calling down a maniac

bakku
04-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Button is a predictable maniac
MP3 is hopeless

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Button has cards that add up to 20 and will be betting to the river

Flop: (13.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

No way this flop hit anyone

Turn: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Harmless turn

River: (11.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

I click the call button and pray that I'm good

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 13.25 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

sublime
04-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Looks fine, scary part is you never know when they catch something.

I love these guys when you start catching good hands. Nobody at the table respects thier bets so they call him and you and it turns out to be a huge payday.

Shargaas
04-14-2004, 12:04 PM
I would have seriously considered folding the AJo pre-flop, especially if I knew the button would raise a lot of the time. Yes the button is a maniac, but there will probably be better opportunities when you have position on him.

Once you raise and he 3-bets, you have to call to see the flop, 4-betting is not a good plan here. Now the flop misses you and you figure it missed everyone. You could still be behind to a better A or any cheesy pocket pair, but given the action (only the button betting and everyone calling or folding) it is reasonable to stay in and hope you're good. But you are putting 2.5 more BB in hoping you have the button beat. I would likely have folded on the flop. Against a maniac, I like to hit the flop, and then let them bet my hand for me. Here, he could have lots of hands you beat, or lots you don't (maniacs get group 1 hands too). All this could be avoided by folding a marginal hand like AJ in EMP.

However, you were sitting at the table, not me, so your feel for the action will dictate a lot. My opinion, fold pre-flop, or if not, at least wait for a better flop, the maniac will pay you off.

bakku
04-14-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love these guys when you start catching good hands. Nobody at the table respects thier bets so they call him and you and it turns out to be a huge payday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catching quad 5's and actually getting paid off by a cap on every street was pretty damn satisfying /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sublime
04-14-2004, 12:15 PM
I love joining a table with a maniac and watching a orbit. I actually start drooling watching all the money being thrown in the pot /images/graemlins/tongue.gif