PDA

View Full Version : God goes to Law School

Zeno
04-14-2004, 02:48 AM
The follow article is very intriguing and interesting on a multitude of levels:

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.... (http://www.csicop.org/doubtandabout/harvard-design/)

-Zeno

HDPM
04-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Start with the assumption that all law reviews are all bullshit all the time. A consistently terrible level of discourse/scholarship in terribly organized groups. Law is the only field that leaves out peer review basically and trusts that the journals will be adaquately edited etc.... by inexperienced 24 year olds with undergraduate degrees. The whole process is bogus. Pick up a law review someday and scan some articles.

You can then discuss the religious aspects.

Zeno
04-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the warning and it does explain why this garbage was in the Harvard Law Review to begin with. So no peer review! What a joke.

As for the ID aspect of the article it does illustrate the lengths that some religious zealots will go to spew out their ridiculous quackeries and the façade of legitimacy they wish to present to the public. There is nothing new in this tactic for the ID lunatics. Nor for that matter with all religious quacks and theological mountebanks in general. It has been going on for only about 5,000 years or more.

God bless the Harvard Law Review.

-Zeno

Gamblor
04-14-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm no religious wacko, but science is a religion too.

Have you ever seen a neutron?

We infer into that which we cannot directly experience.

That's why God exists, and that's why neutrons exist.

Zeno
04-14-2004, 09:55 PM
I have never seen God either so perhaps God is a Neutron.

Science n, - A branch of study that deals with demonstrated truths or with observed facts systematically classified and more or less comprehended by general laws, and which includes reliable methods for the discovery of new truths in its own domain.

...the intellectual and practical activity encompassing those branches of study that apply objective scientific method to the phenomena of the physical universe..

Religion n, - Belief in or sensing of some superhuman controlling power or powers, entitled to obedience, reverence, and worship, or in a system defining a code of living, esp. as a means to achieve spiritual or material improvement.

I disagree that Science is a Religion. Of course, you can misconstrue the definitions to fit whatever preconceived notions, beliefs or political agenda you wish. But then that brings down the whole edifice and you inhabit the world of 1984, Where:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

And SCIENCE IS RELIGION

I contend that such practices lead to delusions and make the world what it is today - a cesspool of war, slavery, and ignorance.

'God' is a foggy notion and invented idea derived from the human mind and has its genesis in humanities misunderstandings, chimeras, and delusions about the physical universe. And it is a bad idea, in my opinion - in fact, one of the worst ever concocted by humanity.

-Zeno

Gamblor
04-15-2004, 12:41 AM
As this is more a philosophical argument than anything else I won't attempt to change your mind.

I'm hardly a religious person, but i did notice the inconspicuous absence of "GENOCIDAL TERRORISM=FREEDOM FIGHTING" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

daryn
04-15-2004, 01:42 AM
hey man if you want to see a neutron just use an electron microscope.

Zeno
04-15-2004, 02:44 AM
I think I have stated before that I am not on any crusade myself, that is; I am not into converting anyone to 'my side'. I will always state my opinions and arguments in a strong manner and then leave it at that. So we can agree that we just disagree on the issue of thesim.

I enjoyed your last remark. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno