PDA

View Full Version : more warning info: Bush admin knew and did nothing

jokerswild
04-14-2004, 01:56 AM
Straight from Old Sleazy Drudge:
By the time a CIA briefer gave President Bush the Aug. 6, 2001, President's Daily Brief headlined "Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US," the president had seen a stream of alarming reports on al Qaeda's intentions. So had Vice President Cheney and Bush's top national security team, according to newly declassified information released yesterday by the commission investigating the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

advertisement

In April and May 2001, for example, the intelligence community headlined some of those reports, "Bin Laden planning multiple operations," "Bin Laden network's plans advancing" and "Bin Laden threats are real."

The intelligence included reports of a hostage plot against Americans. It noted that operatives might choose to hijack an aircraft or storm a U.S. embassy. Without knowing when, where or how the terrorists would strike, the CIA "consistently described the upcoming attacks as occurring on a catastrophic level, indicating that they would cause the world to be in turmoil," according to one of two staff reports released by the panel yesterday.

• Full coverage: War on terrorism

"Reports similar to these were made available to President Bush in the morning meetings with [Director of Central Intelligence George J.] Tenet," the commission staff said.

The information offers the most detailed account to date of the warnings the intelligence community gave top Bush administration officials, and provides the context in which a CIA briefer put together a memo on Osama bin Laden's activities in the Aug. 6 PDB for Bush.

MMMMMM
04-14-2004, 02:27 AM
From the text:

"The intelligence included reports of a hostage plot against Americans. It noted that operatives might choose to hijack an aircraft or storm a U.S. embassy. Without knowing when, where or how the terrorists would strike, the CIA "consistently described the upcoming attacks as occurring on a catastrophic level, indicating that they would cause the world to be in turmoil," according to one of two staff reports released by the panel yesterday."

It "noted that operatives might choose to hijack an aircraft or storm a U.S. embassy." It then says, "without knowing when, where or how, the CIA..."

So just what the hell was the administration supposed to do about it, without knowing "when, where or how"??? Eh? If it was an embassy, that's somewhere overseas. If it was on U.S. soil, how could anything be done without knowing those specifics? Well? What could have been done to stop it, Jokerswild? Shut down all airports for 6 months? Deport all Muslims? Barricade and double the guard at all U.S. embassies? Any bright ideas, jokerswild? Can you think of one single practical thing the administration could have done to stop it?

Stu Pidasso
04-14-2004, 03:18 AM
From the same article

The government moved on several fronts to counter the threats. The CIA launched "disruption operations" in 20 countries. Tenet met or phoned 20 foreign intelligence officials. Units of the 5th Fleet were redeployed. Embassies went on alert. Cheney called Crown Prince Adbullah of Saudi Arabia to ask for help. National security adviser Condoleezza Rice asked the CIA to brief Attorney General John D. Ashcroft about an "imminent" terrorist attack whose location was unknown.

It looks like the administration did attempt something.

Mr Wild

Perhaps you would not look so much like a fool if you read the entire article.

Stu

GWB
04-14-2004, 06:51 AM
I appoligize for not being psychic and clairvoyant , I know that is what you expect in your leaders.

Fortunately, you seem to be the only one with this unreasonable expectation.

W

jokerswild
04-14-2004, 09:01 AM
The only fools are idiots that believe Bush. Perhaps if you'd read the article, the CIA did something. Bush did nothing. The CIA warned Bush over and over again. You are just another Heil Bush "Neocon"(=nazi)

jokerswild
04-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Any reasonable leader would have made an effort. All the real Bush did is blame Saddam for everything.

The real scenario: Tenet:Al Queda is a serious threat now.
Bush:"Tell me about Saddam"
Clarke and Tenet: Saddam isn't doing anything
Bush: I know it's Saddam. Don't tell me about Al Queda cells and hijackings: Tell me about Saddam.

The above was repeated over and over again.
By the way psycho, Bush never apologizes for anything.

jokerswild
04-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Poor senile Heil Bush Nazi MMMMMMMMMMMMM, the facts are yet to be revealed.

I would have taken the warnings seriously. I would have ordered coordinated efforts to find the cells. I would then have discovered the honest FBI agents' warnings. I would have then used the full power of the US government to apprehend and deport the terrorists.

The Clinton admin thwarted attacks on New Years Eve 2000 by doing just that ( apprehending terrorists at the Canadian border)

Keep practicing your goose steps.

MMMMMM
04-14-2004, 11:56 AM
And you would have accomplished all that in the brief time period between when the warnings were issued and when the attacks occurred. Not likely IMO.

GWB
04-14-2004, 05:13 PM
http://www.rollcall.com/newspics/matsonsml041204.gif