PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Aces..Full value on this one?

benkath1
04-14-2004, 12:59 AM
It won't add the turn and river but they were Td 9c. Check and called turn, check check on river. This was the third hand in $5 sng at stars. I know not to slowplay KK but what about AA? I feel if I bet or raised, he would have ran and I thought he would have bet more on the river. Thanks in advance.
Ben
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1490)
Button (t1470)
SB (t1420)
BB (t1460)
UTG (t1460)
Hero (t1500)
MP1 (t1590)
MP2 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t40</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Mr.sportbike folds, CO calls t40, Button calls t40, SB folds, BB calls t20.

Flop: (t170) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t20</font>, BB folds, Hero calls t20, CO folds.
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t20</font>, Hero calls t20.
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: t250
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t250 (t250), between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t250).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins t250. </font>

Thythe
04-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Seems good to me, basically he didn't catch anything and so you really couldn't get anything out of it. That flop was the best you could have and wasn't threatening at all so I like the check/call on the flop. Same deal with the turn. Depending on your opponent, I think some sort of bet was necessary on the river. Either an overbet or an underbet and begging to get reraised. If he didn't have anything though, not much you can do.

GoSox
04-14-2004, 12:28 PM
My cardinal rule on Party - Don't ever try a check-raise on the river when you know you have the hand. Never, Ever, Ever. In this pot he probably doesn't have much but will probably call your 50 or 100 for a 250 pot.

Last night, BB tried it on me and I just checked after betting the flop and turn. He had a full house and went absolutely berserck (sp?) that he got almost nothing out of it. Then like a bigger idiot, I did the same an hour later on someone when I had the nut flush, because I was just certain he'd keep betting, which he didn't.

Otherwise, I think you played it fine. He's going to put you on a pair so even then unless he catches something you shouldn't assume you'll get much out of him, but don't waste what you can get.

NotMitch
04-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Raise more pre flop, raise the turn.

Sandwich
04-14-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Last night, BB tried it on me and I just checked after betting the flop and turn. He had a full house

[/ QUOTE ]
That wasn't me, but I did the absolutely same thing last night on a Party 10+1. Down to 4 players, 2 of us seeing the flop, and I have AA. The flop comes ATT rainbow. I check, opponent bets the minimum. I call. Turn is a Q, all four suits on the board. I check, opponent bets a bit bigger. I call. River is a 4. I check, opponent checks and I am kicking myself.

benkath1
04-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. Glad I'm not the only one. As a new player, you don't look at that hand as hard to play, but I didn't know if I botched it up too bad.
Ben

Mors
04-15-2004, 08:40 AM
I think you played that one fine. The only one thing I will say is, from what I've read, been told and am now experiencing, if you don't bet out pretty strongly when you do have a hand most of the time, you wont get value for money in the longrun. Sandbagging is fine, and looked to be the best bet in this case, but I don't know if you're like me, and in the back of your head are thinking 'could I have got another call out of him if I'd have bet a little bit more'. Always happens when I get the nuts. I seem to get paid off better when I don't have the nuts on the flop, or don't seem to have em.
Good luck and well played mate /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mors

PDX_David
04-16-2004, 09:12 PM
I think you have to bet more preflop. It is early and alot of ppl don't respect preflop raises early in a 5 sng, especially a $5 sng. I am not saying raise it allin. I am thinking more along the lines of 3-4xBB. After the flop I think the check is a great play to try and get someone to represent the A. Although looking back at it I think not betting the river was a mistake, but I cannot say that I wouldn't have done the same.

Last night I got lucky when I had A5c in MP. Limped in. Flopped the nut flush and some guy just kept betting into me. I called around 120 on the flop. 240 on the Turn and he bet another 240 on the river. I doubled that to 480 and he called. I only wonder if he would have given me all his chips on the river. It was a nice enough pot for me.

pdx.