PDA

View Full Version : Playing A-big early on

eastbay
04-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Lately I have been getting crushed by playing AK and AQ early in the PP $50 SnGs.

I'll raise to to something like 3-4x BB, and whenever I hit my ace I'll generally get called. So I usually think "ok, loose player who'll be gone soon" and then when I make a strong bet into the turn (no scare cards fell) I'll get re-raised all-in. Then it's "uh oh, I guess I'm pot committed, he's probably on AJ, guess I'll call" and he's got two pair on his A-little, every time. This has gone down like this the last 4 or 5 times I've hit an A in this situation.

Do you folks lay down in this situation? I would normally say "no way" but this is killing me lately.

eastbay

Stoneii
04-14-2004, 04:08 AM
I've changed my play with AQ early on now eastbay because of this very thing. A normal raise does absolutely nothing to thin the field as folk don't see 3*BB, they just see 60 chips or so and call with same two they'd call no raise with.

Obviously a big generality there in play(ers) depending on games you're in but I limp more often with these now early in most tournies and the surprise factor to those on AJ etc can work in your favour for a change.

stoneii

jedi
04-14-2004, 11:52 AM
This is a tough one, but I've had similar problems. See if the Big Pot hands, Small Pot hands (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=551688&page=4&view=expand ed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=) post helps out any.

Jonathan
04-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi eastbay,

How ironic, as I came across your post just 5 minutes after busting out of 15 + 1 Turbo sitngo on Pokerstars with the exact situation you describe.

I have T1370 with blinds 15/30 and am dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Two folds to me, and I open/raise for 3BB.
3 callers.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I make a pot size bet (390) as I don't want to give a free card to the flush draw. Man to my left flat calls while the other two fold.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I push, man to my left calls and turns over A A so I'm drawing dead.

I suppose I could check the turn and fold to any bet but that doesn't look quite right does it?

I don't quite know how to handle this, other than fold the AQ in the first place.

Regards,
Jonathan