PDA

View Full Version : Weak hand overplayed?

CBenfer
04-13-2004, 09:56 PM
See below for hand (and commentary).
Situation is Party (1/2), typical game, loose, mostly passive. "dangerdan" has been overly aggressive in most cases, IMHO, and "sonnyc14u" has been pretty loose with his starting and calling standards.

My comments are in ######s.

***** Hand History for Game 524142307 *****
Table (POKER)-Addicts (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: Thorarin ( $75.5 )
Seat 3: chhan6154 ( $29.25 )
Seat 4: markbos ( $34.41 )
Seat 6: CBenfer ( $40.5 )
Seat 10: sonnyc14u ( $83 )
Seat 8: goldarm12 ( $57 )
Seat 7: dangerdan ( $40 )
Seat 1: rocco779 ( $46 )
Seat 9: CRIMINAL1 ( $58 )
Seat 5: cherc1122 ( $20 )
dangerdan posts small blind [$0.5].
goldarm12 posts big blind [$1].
cherc1122 posts big blind [$1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to CBenfer [ 9c 8c ]
CRIMINAL1 calls [$1].
sonnyc14u calls [$1].
rocco779 folds.
Thorarin folds.
chhan6154 calls [$1].
markbos folds.
cherc1122 checks.
CBenfer calls [$1].
dangerdan raises [$1.5].
goldarm12 folds.
CRIMINAL1 calls [$1].
sonnyc14u calls [$1].
chhan6154 calls [$1].
cherc1122 calls [$1].
CBenfer calls [$1].

####Good hand preflop on the button. I didn't like the raise, but there were more than enough callers to justify the extra bet####

** Dealing Flop ** [ 4d, 4h, 9d ]
dangerdan bets [$1].
CRIMINAL1 calls [$1].
sonnyc14u calls [$1].
chhan6154 folds.
cherc1122 folds.
CBenfer raises [$2].
dangerdan calls [$1].
CRIMINAL1 calls [$1].
sonnyc14u calls [$1].

####Here I figured dangerdan was just betting out at the flop, hoping to get lucky. He could have had an overpair, but I was willing to take that risk. The hope was actually that he would three-bet after my raise and wipe out the field, who I figured had overcards.####

** Dealing Turn ** [ Th ]
dangerdan checks.
CRIMINAL1 checks.
sonnyc14u checks.
CBenfer bets [$2].
dangerdan calls [$2].
CRIMINAL1 calls [$2].
sonnyc14u calls [$2].

####Should I have backed off? I was a bit afraid of the 10, but realistically thought I still had the best hand and didn't want to give a free card. I'm thinking this play was OK####

** Dealing River ** [ Kc ]
dangerdan checks.
CRIMINAL1 checks.
sonnyc14u checks.
CBenfer checks.

####Again, I think I played this correctly, but want some opinions. I was very afraid of a K, and with two fours and a relatively tight player (me) betting, I figured they might not bet top pair at this point. I also figured that the only people that would call my bet would have me beat.####

dangerdan shows [ As, Qh ] a pair of fours.
CRIMINAL1 shows [ Td, Ad ] two pairs, tens and fours.
sonnyc14u doesn't show [ Qd, 8d ] a pair of fours.
CBenfer doesn't show [ 9c, 8c ] two pairs, nines and fours.
CRIMINAL1 wins $28 from the main pot with two pairs, tens and fours.

###Oh well, I lost the hand. This is the kind of hand that I seem to be hitting a lot lately - I think I may have the best hand, but I'm not sure whether to check and call or take the lead. I've hit a bump lately in my game (lost back most of my recent winnings) and need to find the leak. Thanks in advance to everyone for responding.####

Trix
04-13-2004, 09:59 PM
http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi

bdk3clash
04-14-2004, 07:26 AM
A couple of hand-posting guidelines first.

1/2 hands belong in the micro-stakes forum, not small stakes. Small stakes is for 2/4 and up to about 6/12. (Or 7.50/15 if you're playing in AC. /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Try using a hand history converter to post your hands--they make them much, much easier to read, and also anonymize player names.

BisonBison's is available here (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi).

Also, I would avoid posting your thoughts and the results of the hand for a few hours or a day or so. That way, you know you'll get advice unbiased by the actual results of the hand.

(BisonBison's converter allows you to put the results in clear text, but I still prefer posting the results later, since many people will read the results before posting anyway.)

As for this hand, the button call PF seems good, especially given that you described the table as loose and passive. I think suited connectors are overrated at the small stakes, but I think you can play 89s profitably on the button here.

As for the flop, I have to admit I'm tempted to just fold there. You mentioned that the SB was overly aggressive in most cases, but a raise from the SB, especially against this many limpers, is often reserved for very strong hands. Generally, the best case scenario for you is he has AK or AQ or overcards, and at worst he has an overpair.

Him not re-raising is encouraging, but there's a pair on board so I'm not convinced he doesn't have an overpair and is scared of trips. Then again, you said he was overly aggressive, so I'd have to think he'd be likely to 3-bet with an overpair there.

As for all the players limping on the flop with a paired board, sneaky sneaky. Keep an eye out on the turn. Also, you said you hoped he would 3-bet to wipe the field out, which I think is wrong because:

-If he 3-bets it probably means he is ahead of you, unless you have specifically seen him 3-bet flops with overcards alone, and
-the 3-bet will not cause the field to fold

Anyway, by the turn I count 9 BBs in the pot. (The hand history converters include this information automatically, BTW.) Althought it's an overcard, I think betting is cool--the pot is big enough to try to win outright, but everyone calling leads me to believe someone has something better. Maybe the T helped. Maybe they have a 9 with a better kicker. Nevertheless, I agree with betting out on the turn.

No shame in checking behind on the river--it's the right move. You're not folding 9x, Tx, or Kx here, and SB is more likely to have AK than anything else, I think.

Seeing the results, your read on the SB was a good one. Too bad the rest of the table didn't play along with you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Honestly, in the future, I'd save my quasi-isolation raise plays vs. loose players for more shorthanded pots or for when I had a better hand.