PDA

View Full Version : HU Against NateThaLAG

Schneids
04-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Haha. Just kidding about that title. I'm sure he could post about 10 hands from our session at the same table that I played like a mega-LAG.

Anyway, yeah. My table image is crud right now. I'm loose, I'm aggressive, and all that good stuff /images/graemlins/blush.gif. Except, my raises haven't often been signifying much. To a casual observer, it may appear I am mildly tilting. I'm pretty sure this info means little in one of my few meaningful HU encounters against Nate, since I'm pretty sure he is aware of what I'm doing.

So then. Would you play this hand differently against Nate?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: The Schneids is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">The Schneids raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB <font color="purple">(NateThaGreat)</font> 3-bets</font>, BB folds, The Schneids calls.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">NateThaGreat bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">The Schneids raises</font>, NateThaGreat calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">NateThaGreat bets</font>, The Schneids calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">NateThaGreat bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">The Schneids raises</font>, NateThaGreat folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 9.50 BB, won by The Schneids.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by The Schneids.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
The Schneids shows Qh Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: The Schneids wins 10.50 BB. </font>

daryn
04-13-2004, 08:08 PM
what do you do if he 3 bets the river? i would raise the turn, instead of waiting til the most dangerous card hits the river.

Nate tha' Great
04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
FYI, I had AK in this hand.

Schneids
04-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks. The only positive I will take from this whole session is courtesy of my very maniacal, overall bad play /images/graemlins/blush.gif, I have two new customers to value-bet to death (assuming they have taken a note on me).

Today was definitely not the A-game.

daryn
04-13-2004, 08:24 PM
why bet out on the turn again with the unimproved AK? why bet the river after his turn call?

Nate tha' Great
04-14-2004, 01:14 AM
As far as the turn bet - I thought that he had a vulnerable hand given that he just called my preflop 3-bet, and I thought that he'd read my stop-and-go for strength (because he knows that I like to raise and go for a 3-bet), so at the very least there was little chance that I'd be raised.

I have induced folds in those spots, though probably not from top pair.

I should probably have given up on the river; I suppose I was trying to represent a straight.

Your Mom
04-14-2004, 02:02 AM
You can represent the straight all you want, but he isn't folding after raising the flop and calling a turn bet. Time to give up on the river. I do like the turn bet though for the reason you mentioned.

kiddo
04-14-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as the turn bet - I thought that he had a vulnerable hand given that he just called my preflop 3-bet... I have induced folds in those spots, though probably not from top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, not doing enough of this thinking/betting on turn and river is a major leak in my game.

Schneids
04-14-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what do you do if he 3 bets the river? i would raise the turn, instead of waiting til the most dangerous card hits the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's aggressive enough that I think I can gain more EV waiting for a river raise. Plus, I don't think I really have to fear the 4-card straight out there... Nate 3-bet PF. 88, A8, and maybe K8s or 98s are the only hands I could fear that are beating me and three-bet the river. It seems like there are a lot more hands out there that he would three-bet me with PF, that have enough of the board to call a raise. Plus, a lot of the other hands that are beating me won't three-bet the river.

Nate tha' Great
04-14-2004, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as the turn bet - I thought that he had a vulnerable hand given that he just called my preflop 3-bet... I have induced folds in those spots, though probably not from top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, not doing enough of this thinking/betting on turn and river is a major leak in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind you, I don't think that it was a brilliant spot for the play; I think it should probably be reserved for spots where you have a bit more to gain by bluffing or semi-bluffing. In this case, I'm not particularly to happy to see a J and a T on the board against a hand that raised from LP before the flop, but did not cap. It's also worth noting that any of the scare cards that might come on the river would, in fact, give me the best hand, so there's little benefit to be hand from "representing" them.

The one hand that it would specifically be beneficial to bet the turn against is KQ, which I though was a possible holding for him (especially after his raise on the river). However, if I thought that he had KQ, I still should have checked and probably folded the river.

Nate tha' Great
04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's aggressive enough that I think I can gain more EV waiting for a river raise. Plus, I don't think I really have to fear the 4-card straight out there... Nate 3-bet PF. 88, A8, and maybe K8s or 98s are the only hands I could fear that are beating me and three-bet the river. It seems like there are a lot more hands out there that he would three-bet me with PF, that have enough of the board to call a raise. Plus, a lot of the other hands that are beating me won't three-bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised that you'd raise the river with "just" one pair. What hands am I going to call with that you beat? AT and KT? Yeh, probably. But there a lot more hands that I'll call with that would beat you, and I'd certainly 3-bet with a straight.

AJo Go All In
04-14-2004, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I was trying to represent a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? why would a thinking player put you on a straight here? or was this a joke?