River: K

SB bets, I call

How did i play this hand?
Is preflop call good?
3-betting flop good?
calling down on turn and river good?

Packerfan1
04-13-2004, 06:14 PM
I fold preflop in a heartbeat. Classic opportunity for me to hold a dominated hand that I'll have to pay off all the way... give me 56o here instead.

That being said... you've shown a lot of strength postflop in the only position that rightfully should have a 2... and the sb not only checkraises you, but caps when you 3bet.

If you didn't see 62s or a bigger ten from him, then I'd be surprised. ok well... I guess I wouldn't be surprised, these guys do pay my mortgage after all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome to the 6max jungle.

Pack

PuppetMaster
04-13-2004, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Partypoker 5/10 6 max
Im the bb with Q10o

UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls and I call

FLop is: 2 10 2 (suits not important)

SB checks, I bet, UTG+1 calls, button calls , SB raises,
I 3 bet, UTG+1 folds, Button folds, SB caps, I call

Turn: 6

SB bets, I call

River: K

SB bets, I call

How did i play this hand?
Is preflop call good?
3-betting flop good?
calling down on turn and river good?

[/ QUOTE ]
You played horible. Unless you are against a complete maniac, there is no way you are ahead.

partypokerer
04-13-2004, 11:56 PM
well he wasn't a maniac
what is the correct action on the flop?

kiddo
04-14-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You played horible. Unless you are against a complete maniac, there is no way you are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont agree at all (specially not if flop is 2suited). Pretty standard play for me.

When he is capping and you have reached turn there is 8BB in pot. You only have to pay 2 BB to get to showdown and pot will be 12BB. You only have to win 1/6.

You got 3 different chances to win:

1) You will improve to a winning hand on river.
2) He is capping flop as a bluff, hoping you were on a (semi)bluff or a hand (pair of 8s or something) that cant stand the heat.
3) He is capping a worse hand then yours, like JTo or 99.

I am pretty sure that against an average player on 5/10, 6max the combined result of (1)+(2)+(3) happens more often then 1/6.

Also, if you dont call down toppair in these games against anyone but the most predictable players, then they will play around with you a lot. They will raise the turn with nothing and you will have to guess a lot.

(An advice if you are new to 5/10, 6max: Try to find a table where the players have a small bankroll and the average pot isnt to big. Godd chance there are some not2loose-passive and they are the best if you dont want big swings in your bankroll but still want to get away with/learn some bluffs and semibluffs.)

lil'
04-14-2004, 01:53 PM
The pre-flop call is probably OK, unless the raiser is tight. In these games, people raise with crap all the time (just browse this forum and this will become clear very quickly.)

I like the flop 3 bet. The cap by SB is concerning. What does he have? Probably not a 2, since he called a raise. He could have A-10 or K-10. He could have a pocket pair. Against an unknown I'd call it down and see.

1800GAMBLER
04-14-2004, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play it the same.

sweetjazz
04-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Just a couple of side remarks:

(1) Suits are always important. No, the suits might not have affected what your hand was, but they should affect what your opponents bet means. You should always take into consideration the coordinatedness of the board, especially when your opponents are prone to semibluff a lot.

(2) This hand is very opponent-dependent. Against some opponents, you could lose a lot of money on hands like this (seeing them show down QQ, AT, etc. very often). Against other clowns, you could feel very silly if you folded this and watch them drag a pot when their 53o catches a 5 on the river and is called down by an A high. Since you don't know much about your opponents this time, that makes this hand tricky to play. But it shows the importance of taking notes on your opponents. If this guy ended up winning by pairing kings on the river or lost by showing down AQ or AJ (or worse!), then make a note of this. Then you will that he's a loon and needs to be value-bet like crazy (and never bluffed). OTOH, if he shows down QQ, then make a note that he played the hand solidly, and proceed with caution against him until you are given reason not to.

(3) You should be aware that, as a general principle, this flop is probably not very good for you. That's because there are not many worse hands that will give you action here. Only a ten with a lower kicker, a medium pocket pair, or a four-flush (depending what the suits are -- see #1) might pay you off. Against a solid SB, you should be very worried because what could he have that you beat and he's willing to 4-bet? OTOH (see #2), if he's a loon, he might be making a WPT "bold move" with 73o.

Overall, I think your play looks pretty good against a generic party player. But I think that this is a hand where having good notes on your opponent can really help you.