PDA

View Full Version : Stars Turbo NL SNGs

Gamblor
04-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Anyone else think it is an awful, awful idea to get involved with these?

Prickly Pete
04-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Those of us that play at Party would probably not think it's that awful an idea since we've already been playing "Turbo SNGSs". /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

heyrocker
04-13-2004, 06:46 PM
I've been making damn good money on them personally.

Che
04-13-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been making damn good money on them personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, but my sample is rather small.

However, I believe that I will continue to make money on the turbo games for the following reasons:

1. Most players in these games are very loose even at the first two levels. When I catch a monster, it's very easy to get someone allin and double up.
2. Most players don't understand the gap concept so they are easy to outplay during the "allin-or-fold" stage which comes very early in the turbo games.

Early indications are that I will have more 8th and 9th place finishes in the turbo games, but my in-the-money percentages appear to be similar to the slower sngs.

When I realized that (it looks like) I will be making basically the same return in half the time on these games, I decided to play them exclusively (after I bust out of whatever multi I played that night /images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

So, no, I don't think playing the turbos is awful. Far from it.

Later,
Che

mosch
04-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Nope, I just finished another one. I'm on a limited sample size, but so far they're plenty soft, profitable, and possible to finish in a reasonable amount of time. Add to that the reduced rake, and I see my favorite new single table tournament.

Stoneii
04-14-2004, 03:58 AM
I haven't played enough yet but my success rate in slower (less turbo) games is much much higher so far. I think that's because these games have been my sole diet since I started poker (and play almost exclusively at stars).

That said, a good player I suppose gets good because they can adapt to a game soon after they sit down and read the play. For that reason alone I reckon they can't be bad as they offer a different style to adapt to.

Just my opinion (with mixed results to date!)

stoneii

SirArthur
04-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Are these turbo SnG's high speed as well; akin to the high speed 6 max ring games on Stars?
Or are they only turbo in the fact that the blinds escalate much quicker?

PSS
04-14-2004, 09:55 AM
My sample size is very small (21 tourneys), but I have to say that I like what I see. More 'gamblers' in them (esp the $15 games), combined with a lower rake make them a pretty good proposition.
Sure, I'll win less money on each game and suffer a higher variance, but they last about half the time, so the hourly rate figures to be higher - quite a bit higher, in fact.

Of course, if your playing style and temperament are not suited to this type of game then you should avoid them, sure. But I play tourneys at Paradise Poker too, and these Stars’ Turbo games *still* have more play to them than that (highly profitable) crapshoot.

At the very least it's nice to have the option to play different tourney structures.

PSS

heyrocker
04-14-2004, 10:44 AM
The timer is only 30 seconds instead of 60, but otherwise they're the same other than the blind levels.