PDA

View Full Version : Pocket QQ on the Button

Ken Morris
04-13-2004, 04:59 PM
As a recent convert from Limit SNGs, I'd like some help with "all-in" strategy. Your comments on the following will be appreciated.

Game: $5+.50 at Stars
Level: V (75/150)
Five players remain, with relatively equal stacks.
Hero is on the button with T2590. Image is tight/aggressive (especially with a LAG to my right)
SB has T2610, and is the second tightest player. I believe he is my strongest opp.

Folded to Hero on the button w/ QQ
Hero makes it T450, SB calls, BB folds. (Is my raise OK?)

Pot: T1125
Flop: [T J 8] rainbow
SB bets T300, Hero raises to T750, SB pushes (to T2160)...What to I do??

This is probably a no-brainer for some of you, but not for a Limit geek. The pot is giving me about 3:1. If I double up, I will eliminate my toughest opp., and will be odds-on for ITM. I believe he would have raised PF with a premium pair or AK. He might have wanted to see a flop with JJ, TT or 88, but I think it's more likely he would have either pushed or folded with these pairs. I believe his most likely holding is AJ or KJ. It's possible he has JT, but even then I don't think I'm a 3:1 dog.

I called all-in. OK?

Results later, if there's any interest.

DougBrennan
04-13-2004, 05:17 PM
I'd call in your position. You might see a set or a made straight once in a while, but you'll see top pair or less often enough to make this call +EV, I would think.

You might want to consider increasing your pre-flop raise, as an Ace or King on the flop would make this a very difficult hand to play. Even a good, tight player might call your 3BB bet with Ax, seeing as you are the button and could easily be stealing.

wayabvpar
04-13-2004, 05:36 PM
I call here. Even if he has a big hand, you have some outs with that board.

Let me guess...he called you with Q9 and busted you? That is how it would end if it happened to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

La Brujita
04-13-2004, 06:13 PM
I think your bet pre flop is fine. You raised too little after he came out betting. There is 1275 in the pot after the SB bet on the flop. A raise of 450 is way too little. You need to push in imo. The reason is a pot sized raise would be over 50% of your stack so you should push.

QQ looks likely to be the best hand, and if it is not this is one of those you will just have to tip your hat to a bigger hand.

But once you made your raise you had to call the all in. Another way to look at things is if you were willing to call an all in bet you should put your opponent to the test and make him make the decision.

Regards

Ken Morris
04-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks all for the feedback.

MHIG. The SB was on KJ, giving him TPTK. I doubled up, and went on to win the thing.