PDA

View Full Version : Ok, now what!?

CountDuckula
04-13-2004, 04:40 PM
I was slumming on Stars in the .2/.4 tables, and doing reasonably well. All of a sudden, some bozo shows up and buys in for $8900 and change (no, that's not a typo; it was actually eight thousand nine hundred DOLLARS at a .2/.4 table!), and shouts out to the room, "ARE YOU BOYS READY TO GAMBLE???"

Immediately after he sits down and posts, I get dealt the red Aces (I think I was UTG; sorry, I forgot to pull a hand history last night; I plan to do that later). And I think, "Well, time to put the pedal to the medal!" I come out raising. Everyone calls, Daddy Warbucks re-raises (he was about 2-3 off the button), one or two people fold and the rest call it to me, and I cap. Flop comes down with a pair of 2s and a blank. I continue to floor it, and the flop is capped, though we start seeing some folds. Same deal on the turn, and we end up with Daddy, the SB, and yours truly. Daddy finally folds to my raise (so I have no clue what he had), and I call the SB's re-raise, as my spidey-sense finally starts to tingle and I haven't drawn another A (DUH! /images/graemlins/blush.gif). Sure enough, he turns over a deuce and a face card, and drags the pot. I've burned through about 76 cents (19 BBs).

As I remarked in the chat window, "Sigh.... Bullets are so expensive!".

Ok, this was more of a rant than anything else, but.... What to do when someone like this shows up? Should I have simply bailed and looked for another table? And what in Ghu's name is someone with an $8900+ BR bothering us .2/.4 players for?!? Why doesn't he go pick on someone his own size?!? For that matter, why is there no max buy-in on Stars (or other sites?) for micro tables? Sheesh!

-Mike

CountDuckula
04-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Ok, here's the hand. It turns out that I misremembered about the guy flopping 3 deuces; he actually picked it up on the turn. For the record, Daddy Warbucks (name changed to protect the $*#@!) had $8915.17 on the table.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP1 <font color="purple">(Daddy Warbucks)</font> posts a blind of $0.02.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 <font color="purple">(Daddy Warbucks)</font> (poster) raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 <font color="purple">(Captain Suckout)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 <font color="purple">(Daddy Warbucks)</font> caps</font>, MP3 <font color="purple">(Captain Suckout)</font> calls, Hero calls, Button calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (21.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Daddy Warbucks bets</font>, Captain Suckout calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Daddy Warbucks 3-bets</font>, Captain Suckout calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, Daddy Warbucks calls, Captain Suckout calls.

Turn: (18.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Daddy Warbucks bets</font>, Captain Suckout calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Daddy Warbucks 3-bets</font>, Captain Suckout calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Daddy Warbucks calls, Captain Suckout calls.

River: (30.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Daddy Warbucks bets</font>, Captain Suckout calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Daddy Warbucks folds, Captain Suckout calls.

Final Pot: 35.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 35.75 BB, between Captain Suckout and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Captain Suckout (35.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Captain Suckout shows 2h 6h (three of a kind, twos).
Hero shows Ah Ad (two pair, aces and twos).
Outcome: Captain Suckout wins 35.75 BB. </font>

Soo.... What should I have done differently?

-Mike

Hiding
04-13-2004, 11:29 PM
I have no constructive critisicsm(sp?) I'd have played it the same. But who brings almost 9 grand to a penny table?????? wow

sfer
04-13-2004, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't raise the river.

Aside from that, I play it the same. You're not getting a calling station to fold. He should have taken another BB out of you. Be happy.

As for Mr. Big Stack Overcompensating for Small Genitalia, if he plays like a maniac, adjust. I love maniacs. You're two seats to his left--that's great position to isolate him when you catch cards.

eric5148
04-13-2004, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why doesn't he go pick on someone his own size?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's definately not your size, he's much smaller than you, in terms of penis size.

illunious
04-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I would stop raising on the river, obviously Captain Suckout scares me more than Daddy Warbucks.

If it was heads up on the river I would raise again.

Very interesting hand!

[ QUOTE ]
some bozo shows up and buys in for $8900 and change and shouts out to the room, "ARE YOU BOYS READY TO GAMBLE???"

Immediately after he sits down and posts, I get dealt the red Aces

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I love it!

StellarWind
04-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Why would anyone need a max buy-in at limit poker? Look at his stack as a challenge and try to make it yours /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

He's a maniac doing his thing. Maniacs are about ego-gratification through intimidation. The online experience greatly limits their outlets for antisocial behavior. He's found one of the few available ways to express himself outside of his plays.

Be happy he did this. It's a better way to learn about a maniac than limping draw-bait and getting sawed off on the first hand. He told you what was coming.

Zetack
04-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Yesterday, a guy played the .50/1.00 table with over 1500 dollars. A real action guy, although I was tired and was winding down my .25/.50 session so I didn't go take a shot at him. I saw him today at a 5/10 dollar table so that's probably his regular haunt.

I suspect everynow and then these guys like to drop down and play at a level where they can be the maniac and table bully. Its fun, and no level of loss is going to feel at all significant to them.

This guy was actually amusing because one other player flat out told him, I'm going to just sit here and wait for AA, KK, QQ, or A-K and take you down (which I thought was a real boneheaded play). Every so often the action guy would say to the rock "sooo, having fun waiting for your big hands?" The rock never did catch his hand to take a piece of the action guy.

Oh, and since the sizes of the bets can't change no matter what your stack, except for minimal stacks, its simply irrelevant how much a guy brings to the table...although its probably a good tell that he's going to be either LAG or a maniac.

--Zetack

CountDuckula
04-14-2004, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would stop raising on the river, obviously Captain Suckout scares me more than Daddy Warbucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but all he did was call on every street. I figured maybe he flopped a couple of pairs or a draw, and was hanging in because he hoped both DW and I were simply raising each other on sheer bluff. It didn't occur to me to worry about CS having a deuce (though maybe I should have worried about a flopped set, but still, CS looked like a mere calling station to me). The way I saw it, I had AA against random hands, and I was going to play them hard. Sucks for me that CS decided to play on with 62s; I would have folded that hand PF, figuring it was highly unlikely to turn out to be the winner (but it did drag a big pot when it did).

[ QUOTE ]
If it was heads up on the river I would raise again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I had only one opportunity to raise the river, and I took it. I just wish another A had shown up. LOL!

[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Too bad it wasn't a profitable one for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
some bozo shows up and buys in for $8900 and change and shouts out to the room, "ARE YOU BOYS READY TO GAMBLE???"

Immediately after he sits down and posts, I get dealt the red Aces

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I love it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I figured it was the perfect setup. And it was. For me!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

spamuell
04-14-2004, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Daddy Warbucks

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
what in Ghu's name is someone with an $8900+ BR bothering us .2/.4 players for?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this myself with a significantly smaller BR than 9k, but you know this is a 2+2er, right?

CountDuckula
04-14-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Daddy Warbucks

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
what in Ghu's name is someone with an $8900+ BR bothering us .2/.4 players for?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this myself with a significantly smaller BR than 9k,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but why? I mean, I'm there because my BR is embarassingly small and my wife is giving me static about redepositing, so I'm trying to keep in practice until the next time I can redeposit by playing the penny games. And I only buy in for a buck or so at that level. But why go around bullying the fish, when a) you'll only make a few dollars at best, and b) you might drive them out of online poker altogether instead of letting them grow up and move to the higher limits?

[ QUOTE ]
but you know this is a 2+2er, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no, I didn't. His actual handle is MadCaddy (I made up the Daddy Warbucks).

-Mike

spacemonkey57
04-14-2004, 10:43 AM
This happened to me once at pokerroom .50-$1. I figured that the guy was either drunk or on tilt from a beat at his regular game. I'd guess it'd be kind of fun to just blast away and not have to worry about the money.

DoctorDrew
04-14-2004, 11:10 AM
OK, why must everything come down to penis size when some guy makes a play like this. Perhaps he was on tilt from some bad beats at high limits and came to burn it off where he wouldn't get hurt. I would not be surprised if you looked for him he was sitting out at some 5/10 table while going like a maniac at your limit.

Second, maybe he likes to make other people tilt; based on his opening comments, I think this is possible.

Third, maybe he's just and a$$hole /images/graemlins/grin.gif

spamuell
04-14-2004, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, but why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you're hugely on tilt, you're down a hundred BB and you can't take all these freaking beats anymore, you just need to cool off. I don't think it particularly scares the fish, last time I did it I lost 100BB at .5/.10 in one short session which I found hilarious. I know that if a maniac sits down at my table, I'm get pretty pleased.

[ QUOTE ]
His actual handle is MadCaddy

[/ QUOTE ]

This may or may not be a 2+2er then. From the name you gave him, I was pretty sure you were referring to someone else.