PDA

View Full Version : Reading a hand

05-13-2002, 10:54 AM
Online 2/4. The player in question here is hard to read because he overplays a lot of hands. Never sure if he really has it.

I'm in the BB with As Jc. MP calls, LP calls and the SB completes. I just check. (Anyone raise this?)

*** FLOP *** : [ Ks Ts Ah ]

SB checks. I bet out. I don't like the checkraise here. Anyone disagree? Only the MP calls.

*** TURN *** : [ Ks Ts Ah ] [ Ac ]

I bet again and he raises me. I will rule out AK, AQ or KK because of the lack of a pre-flop raise. SO the hands I fear are AT, TT (unlikely I think) or QJ. What I'm hoping is that he is overplaying a little Ace, and he is quite capable of doing that. I can't fold this against this player, I'm not sure I could fold it against anyone. I'm even wondering if I should raise it again.

How do you play it from here?

a) Fold

b) call intending to call the river.

c) Raise and bet the river.

d) Some other combination.

I called.

*** RIVER *** : [ Ks Ts Ah Ac ] [ 5d ]

I checked, he bet I called again and he showed

A9, and I won a nice sized pot.

Did I miss a bet or was this the right way to play someone who pushes too hard on hands?

05-13-2002, 02:32 PM
I could either 3-bet and lead or check-call.

As I read it, my gut said to 3-bet. Your kicker still plays, so you are ahead of any ace except AT (Assuming he'd raise preflop with AK and AQ). And if you are behind to a straight, you have 10 outs to win and another 2 to chop. A straight really can't 4-bet you with the pair on the board either.

But since he is almost guaranteed to bet the river for you anyway, check-calling is fine too.

05-13-2002, 03:05 PM
if the had TT, AT, or QJ...wouldnt he raise the flop to make the draws pay? the pots only 4 handed...no reason to wait for the turn here for him...

BUT many do tend to wait, so it is within the realm...

i mightve 3 bet him to test him, but calling is fine. itd be hard for him to 4 bet with a lesser hand than yours.. the check call on the river is ok...

im not folding this unless its against a tight rock.

b