PDA

View Full Version : Question about odds?

Catch of the Day
04-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Hey all,

I have a question about odds...

How often should you take odds into consideration. Recently I have been more playing the game by feel, and by what I have learned on this forum. I realize that you will rarely ever get the correct odds to call down short handed.

I guess I am just curious as to which hands are worth chasing with incorrect odds. This is really general, but I think that I don't really inderstand it all. I am just so worried about table image, trapping players, making moves that I dont ever really think about odds.

I guess hands like:

Gutshots with one over in the sb. Check, bet, call, call, call... Getting 9:1 on my call out of position with good implied odds if I were to hit. Say I have A4o with J,2,3 flop, and the board is two tone?

I am just curious as to what some of the more experienced SH players think about odds, and when they even bother to take them into consideration?

I am talking about 1/2 6-max specifially...

Thanks,

Catch-

J.R.
04-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Always think about odds, but more than just pot odds and your odds to improve your hand. Consider the odds you hand is best because your oppoenent is bluffing, the implied odds, the odds you will have the best hand when you do improve, the odds your call may freeze your oppoent into a check on the next round (cutting down your effetcive odds when drawing on the flop) and the odds that you can fold a better hand with a bluff or a semi-bluff, especically if a scare card falls.

Getting 9:1 on my call out of position with good implied odds if I were to hit. Say I have A4o with J,2,3 flop, and the board is two tone?

What are the odds you are up against a flush draw. What are the odds your A is good (is a bigger ace or 2 pair/set out there?). What are the odds that you get big action if a 5 or A falls (and you have the best hand)?

I realize that you will rarely ever get the correct odds to call down short handed.

If you are calling down its because you think you rate to have the best hand at a greater frequently than the pot odds offered. If you mean call with the intention of folding without improvement, than your idea is more correct, but you still have to consider the implied odds, effective odds when not closing the action and/or drawing on the flop, chance of bluffing out a better hand, chance of winning the pot when you do improve and the chance that you currently hold the best hand.