PDA

View Full Version : AKs Early in tournament.

jedi
04-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Here's a hand early on in a 2 table SnG tournament. How did I do?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1880)
Jedi (t1790)
CO (t1960)
Button <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> (t1160)
SB (t1020)
BB (t1610)
UTG (t980)
UTG+1 (t1510)
MP1 (t1590)

Preflop: Jedi is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Jedi raises to t120, CO calls t120, Button <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> calls t120, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t90.

So I'm in late middle position, and I raise to 120, which is 4xBB, and about 1.75x the pot. CO AND Button both cold call my raise, and UTG+1 comes along as well.

Flop: (t525) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Jedi bets t420, CO folds, Villian raises to t1040, UTG+1 folds, Jedi calls t620.

Okay, the flop is about as good as I can ask for without actually making a hand. I underbet the pot a little (mistake?), but button re-raises me all in. Okay. What am I thinking about? If I'm against top pair, I'm still somewhat of a favorite with overcards + flush draw, right? If I'm up against a set or 2 pair, my outs are reduced to 7. Anyways, I'm almost sure I have the best draw, no matter what button has, so I push for the remaining chips.

Turn: (t2605) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2605) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2605
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t2605 (t2605), between Jedi and Villian.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Villian (t2605).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Jedi shows Ad Kd (one pair, tens).
Villian shows 6d 4d (two pair, tens and sixes).
Outcome: Villian wins t2605. </font>

Commentary:<font color="white">
Dang it. Well, he cold called my raise with 64d, I guess that's about as good as I could ask for. Unfortunately, I got neither an Ace, King or Diamond so I'm practically done. Part of the reason I made the move is because it was early in the SnG and I could go join another one if it didn't work out. It didn't. I busted out 17th in this one.

Just went to twodimes.net. I was a 65/35 favorite pre-flop. When the money went in on the flop, I was a 52/48 dog. Better than AK vs. QQ though.
</font>

Sheriff Fatman
04-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Tough decision. Its hard to argue with your play in many respects but you would still have &gt;T1000 left if you fold so you can still get away from this hand.

The opponents all-in is an awful play in this case - he's basically praying for a fold, a 6 or the diamond as he can't think his 6's are ahead. The diamond, unfortunately for him, leaves him dead. However, you have to credit a reasonable opponent with the possibility of a set here. Therefore, if the board pairs, you are drawing dead anyway.

On balance, I think you fold here and look for a better spot. You still have plenty of time at this stage to recover the position.

Sheriff