PDA

View Full Version : Calling hands against super-loose-aggressive

PrayingMantis
04-13-2004, 11:20 AM
We're 3 handed in a $15+1 SNG. Big stack with around 8000 (weak-tight), and me and another with 2000-3000 each. The other player is an aggressive, solid player.

To my left is big stack. Blinds are 300/600, ante 50.

Now, from the second we've become 3 handed, this is about the regular scenario: big stack folds UTG, SB pushes, I fold. When I'm UTG or SB (and UTG folded) I push unless I have complete garbage, since big-stack can allow himself to call without busting. Sometimes the other small stack pushed from UTG too, and I usually fold, along with big stack.

My question: if SB pushes against me EVERY SINGLE TIME (after big stack has folded), for about 8-10 rounds in a row, what should be my calling standarts (I'll have to call for approximately all my stack, and will get around 2:1 - 1.5:1 on the pot, since the blinds are huge).

I've folded T6o, Q9o, 85o, 92o, T8o, 84o, 86s, 42s.

My stack was OK, since I won the blinds whenever I pushed. But I was wandering about calling one of the all-ins, with Qx or Tx maybe, since it looked like he's pushing without looking at the cards (which wasn't a bad move at this stage).

Any thoughts?

La Brujita
04-13-2004, 11:55 AM
This is a good question you raise. As Bozeman once said, once you get to the final three you need to trade second place finishes for firsts and thirds.

That being said, if you never get any cards it is hard to call the pushes. I would have definitely called with Q-9. T-8o is a very close decision.

Just as a sidenote, if that SB has gotten away with pushing every single time for 8-10 rounds he is playing well, not crazy if you get my drift.

eastbay
04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We're 3 handed in a $15+1 SNG. Big stack with around 8000 (weak-tight), and me and another with 2000-3000 each. The other player is an aggressive, solid player.

To my left is big stack. Blinds are 300/600, ante 50.

Now, from the second we've become 3 handed, this is about the regular scenario: big stack folds UTG, SB pushes, I fold. When I'm UTG or SB (and UTG folded) I push unless I have complete garbage, since big-stack can allow himself to call without busting. Sometimes the other small stack pushed from UTG too, and I usually fold, along with big stack.

My question: if SB pushes against me EVERY SINGLE TIME (after big stack has folded), for about 8-10 rounds in a row, what should be my calling standarts (I'll have to call for approximately all my stack, and will get around 2:1 - 1.5:1 on the pot, since the blinds are huge).

I've folded T6o, Q9o, 85o, 92o, T8o, 84o, 86s, 42s.

My stack was OK, since I won the blinds whenever I pushed. But I was wandering about calling one of the all-ins, with Qx or Tx maybe, since it looked like he's pushing without looking at the cards (which wasn't a bad move at this stage).

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's pushing literally every single hand, then you use the "vs. random hand" rankings here to pick your spot for +EV:

http://rwa.homelinux.net/poker/hand-rankings.html

If he's being a little selective then it gets trickier, since you have to make some assumptions about the texture of the hands he's pushing to mount an optimal counter-strategy.

eastbay

Sheriff Fatman
04-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Good question, and a lousy set of hands to decide with.

For me, Q9o is a call but not the others until the stage where you are really short-stacked. I can't remember where I read it (TOP?) but Q7o sticks in my mind as 'the average hand'. T8o is borderline but, heads up, I think I'd like at least a Jack in my hand to call.

Sheriff