PDA

View Full Version : I slow played my set :( but was it wrong?

Alobar
04-13-2004, 10:37 AM
no real reads, typical table from what I can tell

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (13.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 17.25 BB, between UTG+2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+2 (17.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+2 shows Ah Kc (straight, ace high).
Hero shows Qd Qh (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 17.25 BB. </font>

deacsoft
04-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Although the flop wasn't that scary I ram and jam that set all day. Especially with 2 opponents. If it was bet out in front of you and called in front of you it should be obvious that you sitll have the best hand and that both will call so why not get another bet in the pot?

Eventhough big slick sucked you out with his 4 out straight draw you know that it will not happen very often. I say get in the bets when you have the best hand nearly every time. You were not wrong to play it like you did, but I say bet and raise that as much as possible.

MaxPower
04-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Will they fold if you raise the flop? No.

Can the cheap card you are giving make a second best hand? Probably not.

Can the cheap card you are giving give someone a good draw on the turn? Yes.

Can a miracle card come on the turn? Very easily.

Is the pot small? No.

All these things point to not slowplaying. Plus the fact that you might get a lot of action on the flop from someone with a high pair. I'm sure it didn't change the outcome of this hand, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

PokerBob
04-13-2004, 10:55 AM
I RARELY slow-play a set, and with that board I think you may be asking for trouble.

LetsRock
04-13-2004, 10:57 AM
That flop wasn't scary? That flop screams "suck me out, suck me out!"

Somebody may already be made, and there's likely to be a lot of interest on that flop.

Cohiba Al
04-14-2004, 09:18 AM
If you had raised the flop would he have re-raised, folded or called?

With AK and no made hand, on a draw, he probably would have called. If so, then I would guess the straight isn't made yet. I would be thinking maybe the player is on a straight draw, paired the jack, paired the queen without top kicker...? Would someone with QJ two-pair re-raise or play behind you here?

After that flop raise show of strength the player might be more likely to check on the turn. Your turn bet might be enough strength to get him to consider tossing his 4-out draw. With just shy of 10bb in the pot he has the wrong odds to make that call anyway.

End result of raising the flop is most likely an improved chance of winning a smaller pot. I'm not sure if that warrants doing it though; the likelihood of someone hitting their 4-outter might not be enough to sacrifice the larger wins on the majority of times they don't hit.

If my thinking is flawed, please point it out though. I'm still learning.

Schmed
04-14-2004, 10:09 AM
I rarely like a slow played set. You can usually get paid off anyway.

I raise/cap the flop, raise/cap the turn, bet/call the river.

You're pretty far ahead in most cases but you may have a str8 draw chasing you as well as overcards/overpair so you want to get in as many bets as possible. If he had KK, or AA you're kicking yourself because he may over play them, especially on the flop. For example if he has KK, he bets out, you raise, he 3 bets, you call, he bets out on the turn you raise again..he comes in line and calls down.

In this case it cost you because he probably folds to a flop raise and a turn bet....maybe not but once you snapped him on the turn he was stuck praying for his gut shot getting almost 15-1 and knowing you'd pay him off for two.

jonnyv
04-14-2004, 12:04 PM
With two cards in the playing zone you are going to get played with here so I wouldn't slowplay. The board is cordinated enough where there are several cards you dont want to see come out on the turn. Of course the board could pair giving you the full house also. Too many draws out here to slowplay.