PDA

View Full Version : Internet vs B&M

midas
04-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I've been reading the posts that compare Internet to B&M skill levels and the general consensus is that at the same levels Internet play is tougher than B&M. My questions are:

1. Why is this true? It seems that that the internet (ease of acccess) would be much more fishy than B&M thus softer.

2. If Internet players are much better than the equivalent B&M players - why don't these great players show up at B&Ms and dominate the play?

3. I once heard Daniel Negraneau quoted saying that he made more money playing on the internet not B&Ms (soft internet). Contrarily, aren't our great moderators always spotted playing at the Bellagio high limit games (soft B&M?)

The logic doesn't always add up.

Toonces
04-13-2004, 10:32 AM
>1. Why is this true? It seems that that the internet (ease >of acccess) would be much more fishy than B&M thus softer.

My guess is that the internet games are more fishy in general. However, the availability of extremely low limit games on the internet tend to have the fishiest players play at very low levels. By the time you are playing in 3/6 and 4/8, the internet players have improved some.

On the other hand, the poker player who know he's outclassed will want to play in one of the lower limits offered, which at a card room is often 3/6 or 4/8 (in Chicago, it's 5/10). Then, as soon as they think they are improving, they will want to play up to perhaps 10/20. So the 5/10 and 10/20 players in the card room would be less advanced.

In addition, gamblers have a bigger willingness to lose money in Vegas (where it's a vacation and experience) than on the net where it's a daily thing. Therefore, a player comfortable at 5/10 at a B&M may only be comfortable at the 1/2 level when playing on the internet.

>2. If Internet players are much better than the equivalent >B&M players - why don't these great players show up at >B&Ms and dominate the play?

For several reasons:
- They are geographically disadvantaged
- They are underbankrolled for a higher limit B&M game
- They stay online to avoid the added rake

But noone is saying they are great, just that a typical 3/6 UB player is at the same skill level as a typical 10/20 B&M player. That doesn't mean that the 3/6 UB player can make a living playing 3/6 games in Vegas.

lostinthought
04-13-2004, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. If Internet players are much better than the equivalent B&M players - why don't these great players show up at B&Ms and dominate the play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you live in a place where BM isn't legal, it takes a little effort to do. As much as just up and moving to Vegas or California sounds right now, I can't do it. But I will be heading out to Vegas for a vacation soon.

An even better example would be someone like davidross, who I would consider an online expert, but for a number of reasons can't or dosen't just up and leave to a place where B&M is popular. And I have no doubt in my mind he would do just fine at those tables.

lostinthought
04-13-2004, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. I once heard Daniel Negraneau quoted saying that he made more money playing on the internet not B&Ms (soft internet). Contrarily, aren't our great moderators always spotted playing at the Bellagio high limit games (soft B&M?)

The logic doesn't always add up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. So there are no seperate rules for online holdem, that really differ from BM holdem and online holdem (excluding things like different rakes, bad beat jackpots, etc.) So in one sense the game is very similiar. Your question, then, is why wouldn't someone play the same game somewhere else (e.g the internet) if they could make more money than where they play now (e.g. BM)? The question to some interesting possibilities -

1) some people probably enjoy playing with people, not avatars, and would choose people over avatars if given the choice (even if they could make more money)

2) some people enjoy not having to play with people (example - drunks who take forever to make decisions, with timid dealers who won't tell them to hurry up). These people might enjoy playing 4 tables at a time, while surfing the web in the convenience of their own home..

3) some people enjoy both, and play both, taking their respective advantages and disadvantages with a grain of salt

4) despite similiarities in rules, they are different styles of the game. David Ross made a living playing multiple tables of 3/6 for weeks, whereas Malmuth in a popular essay says that one should avoid playing for just minimum wage (i.e. 3/6 and around) at BM cardrooms.
Online players use things like pokertracker, and online notes. In fact, I think without these tools, online players lose a significant edge that plenty of other people are taking advantage of.

5) should I continue?

I think you get the idea.. it's perfectly logical to me.

Gamblor
04-13-2004, 03:41 PM
You're just a cat.