PDA

View Full Version : Two mid pocket pair hands

Inthacup
04-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Both hands are from a 5-10 SH 6-man game. None of my opponents are overly tricky or aggressive.

Hand 1:

UTG+1 posts blind plus dead $2. UTG folds, UTG+1 checks, CO limps, Button folds, I complete with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, BB checks.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO folds,

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, BB calls, UTG+1 folds

River: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, BB raises.....call or fold? I called, but didn't like it.

Hand 2: I open raise UTG+1 with 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, CO cold calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, I bet, CO folds, SB check-raises, I call.

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, I call, but don't like it.

River: 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, I call.

Would you have folded either of these? What are my chances of winning each hand? What do my opponents have? How would you have played them differently?

Cup

stoxtrader
04-13-2004, 09:42 AM
hand 1 - I call river raise as well, only oher option would be to check/call the turn and river if your opponent is the type who will autobet if checked too.

hand 2 - Absent a read, I play it the same way, getting pushed of a pair with one overcard after there is some money in the pot has got to be -EV at the party SH games in the long run. I think.

sthief09
04-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Hand 1: I think the call is dependent upon your table image. People like to push other players around unless they respect the player. If you've been at the table for a while with that player, he'd be less likely to bluff raise the river. My default is calling this though...

Hand 2: I like your line as long as you intended on folding to a river /images/graemlins/spade.gif

J.R.
04-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Hand 1: Unless opponent is a horrible calling station or has seen you bluff and is the type to look you up with A high, why bet? There aren't too many worse hands to put a reasonable player (maybe a big assumption) on that will call. A check may get a missed flush draw to bluff and save a bet against a slowplayed J (perhaps a bad play to slowpaly with the flush draw) since you are inclined to pay off a river raise.

Hand 2: Maybe I'm weak but the flop call is a 2.5 big bet decision, and even if you are ahead on the flop its likely your opponent has a lot of outs (flush/straight draw and/or overcards), so you're in the reverse implied odds scenario when ahead and probabaly not giving up much ev by folding. I'd fold unless I had reason to suspect that my opponent was a loon and capable of check-raising a flush draw, in which case I would call and raise a non-flush turn card as the last money I put in the pot (unles and 8). If my opponent was so nuts as to be capable of 3-betting the turn and/or bluffing the river after my turn raise, I'd fold on the flop and wait for a better spot to go to war, which there is sure to be.

King Yao
04-13-2004, 02:22 PM
I like calling hand 2 more than I like calling hand 1.

In hand 1, I would have played it differently by checking the river. Because you want him to bet if he has a missed flush.

In hand 2, I think you played it just fine from beginning to end. The two spades and the two coordinated cards (64) makes a straight draw, flush draw checkraise a possiblity.

Gramps
04-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Hand 1: I'd check-call this hand, not many worse ones that are going to call the River bet. Opponent dependent, but you may even get a busted flush draw to bet into you if you check. Don't know what your table image is, but if it's aggressive, some Party 5/10 players who flopped trip Jacks will wait til the River to pop you (despite the flush draw out there). I'd pay it off. Too many bluffing foolios in that game to make it a -EV call. I'll guess BB flipped over 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif though.

Hand 2: If I've previously noted that this opponent is tricky (likes to C/R draws, semi-bluff, etc.), then I'd raise the Turn - folding to a 3-bet and checking behind if checked to on the River. I tend to be suspicious of an early play-back against the PFR in these games. Looks like he's trying to steal the pot without having to hit his draw, etc.. The fact that the other player folded and it's now heads up when SB decides to C/R makes me suspicious...

...Think it depends on your read, image, etc. I think that Turn card is a good card. Better chance he was bluffing.