PDA

View Full Version : Turn decision

Ulysses
04-13-2004, 03:25 AM
UTG in this game is a terrible player. I had not been at this table long, but had been playing very aggressively against her. The rest of the table were unknowns. No particular reason for my flop check. I had been betting a lot at this table and just decided it was time for a check. Which brings us to the matter at hand.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: akshawnd is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls, akshawnd raises, SB calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, akshawnd checks.

Turn: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB bets, BB raises, CO folds

What now?

amerksmann22
04-13-2004, 03:28 AM
I would think it is a fold.

At best I think you are playing for a split but more often then not you are already beat here. but i could be wrong...

soda
04-13-2004, 03:36 AM
OUCH.

It's impossible to be correct here. It's just a guess, really.

This is why I hate the flop check (I still do it because of the reason you gave). Of course, fold is correct most times, but is it correct often enough to make folding here correct.

I don't know.

soda

ps - I'd strongly consider 3 betting, instead of just calling if I want to continue with the hand. Then, I check down if unimproved and bet any A or T on river. Fold to a cap.

amerksmann22
04-13-2004, 03:48 AM
Although, I think fold it correct play

If you do continue I agree with soda that a 3-bet turn then check the river is prolly the best play (unless improved)

stoxtrader
04-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Is this turbotina? :-) whatever you do, get to a showdown if it is.

Ulysses
04-13-2004, 01:25 PM
I folded, SB called. The river went check, bet, fold. So we'll never know...

Catch of the Day
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah I agree that if you wish to continue a three bet is the right play. This is a tough spot.

In situations like this, I have been raising...Although I am not sure thats the right play.

It seems like the BB w missed his check-raise on the flop, or two paired the turn...Either way, it sucks for you. He wasn't afraid of that ace any bit it seems. Given this read though, I still have a hard time folding as I have been conditioned to call down becuase of the trash I have seen shown don at 1/2.

What was your read on the BB?

Catch-

Catch of the Day
04-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Yeah I agree that if you wish to continue a three bet is the right play. This is a tough spot.

In situations like this, I have been raising...Although I am not sure thats the right play.

It seems like the BB either missed his check-raise on the flop, or two paired the turn...Either way, it sucks for you. He wasn't afraid of that ace one bit it seems.

Given this read though, I still have a hard time folding as I have been conditioned to call down becuase of the trash I have seen shown down at 1/2. I guess I just don't think my reads apply to average 6-max 1/2'ers for the majority of the time as they could have a range of anything...

What was your read on the BB?

Catch-

gonores
04-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I think you did exactly what the BB wanted you to do. I'd three-bet here and never second-guess myself. You can basically assume that you have the nut one pair hand (AJ and AQ don't seem very likely to me), and the likelyhood of two pair feels smaller to me since there aren't many combos of K45A that players will play...A4 and A5 are most likely (and yeah...blah blah blah, party players will play anything, especially from the blinds...I'm still more worried about two pair on a board full of 7s through Aces). The BB's play seems like a desperate attempt to get you out of the hand...not like a power move.

Plus, 3-betting the turn makes it look like you slowplayed AA, KK, or AK....you won't need to put in more money on the river if you don't want to.

I don't normally disagree with your play, but I really hate this turn fold. On the plus side, though, I do like the flop check and the reasoning behind it. One of my favorite plays is to check the flop when I miss after a preflop raise, and then raise the turn, regardless of the card.

Schneids
04-13-2004, 03:52 PM
I agree with Gonores.

I don't like the fold. I think there'll be enough times that turn raise signifies a worse hand than yours to continue -- specifically in Party 10/20 6-max.

And even if he has a low two pair, you've got lots of outs. I just don't think he has two pair that often.

3-bet to put not another penny in the pot, barring improvement.