PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry

krazyace5
04-13-2004, 01:28 AM
If John Kerry is elected will he pull our troops out of Iraq? If he is going to he has my vote.

Cyrus
04-13-2004, 02:49 AM
John Kerry is a candidate now and can promise a lot of things which are not going to happen any time soon. If he is elected, and he does have a strong chance of winning, John Kerry will look after the interests of the United States first and foremost. He will no longer have an interest in saying things that a candidate says.

So, if the troops are still there, the best one can reasonably hope is an increase of UN involvement, clandestine diplomacy with the interested parties inside and outside Iraq, making a face-saving deal, assuring that the new regime will not be overwhelmed by Shiites, and a phased pull out of troops, more rapidly though than in Vietnam.

(The scenes of frantic mob rushes towards the departing helicopters in Saigon might be repeated with protagonists now the poor bastards of the "Iraqi police", who have become extremely unpopular with the Iraqi people, and their families.)

adios
04-13-2004, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, if the troops are still there, the best one can reasonably hope is an increase of UN involvement,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hilarous given the impotency of the UN without the US. They cut and run so fast when they were there before there is absolutely no way that any kind of meaningful UN involvment will happen nor should it. The UN is corrupt from the top down.

[ QUOTE ]
clandestine diplomacy with the interested parties inside and outside Iraq,

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh really, diplomacy hasn't been clandestine to this point with parties inside and outside Iraq?

[ QUOTE ]
making a face-saving deal, assuring that the new regime will not be overwhelmed by Shiites,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do tell, give us more details oh knowledgable one.

[ QUOTE ]
and a phased pull out of troops, more rapidly though than in Vietnam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I agree Kerry will cut and run if elected i.e. as long as he gets permission from Germany and France.

Speaking of Nam, did the US really make a face saving deal there? Not in my opinion. Notice that lack of making a face saving deal is far different than having a legitimate reason to conduct a war. Hopefully that will preempt one of your silly obfuscations but I'm positive that hope is in vain.

adios
04-13-2004, 07:01 AM

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-13-2004, 09:16 AM
I believe Kerry has explicitly stated that he will not withdraw out troops from Iraq. But, then, he's changed positions before.

Cyrus
04-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I take it from the tone of your response that you are still ticked about the latest news regarding Iraq (more defectors from the conservative camp denouncing Bush; the 9/11 Commission enquiries getting ugly; etc) but this doesn't bother me at all. It's your ulcer.

"That's hilarious given the impotency of the UN without the US."

I do not believe that the U.S. will leave immediately or completely. I specifically wrote that Kerry, IMHO, will go for "increased UN involvement" -- not exclusive involvement but increased, at least at the beginning and until things are safe for America to pack and go without losing (too much) face.

You accuse me of obfuscation and in the next breath you misquote me. Nice.

"They cut and run so fast when they were there before there is absolutely no way that any kind of meaningful UN involvement will happen nor should it. The UN is corrupt from the top down."

Your total disdain and dismissal of the only viable world diplomatic body extant is noted. And chuckled with. /images/graemlins/cool.gif (Your man Bush is already grovelling to the UN to take up some of the slack, and some of the flak. You don't think he is turning into a liberal, do you? /images/graemlins/cool.gif)

"Kerry will cut and run if elected i.e. as long as he gets permission from Germany and France."

If I am allowed to make a personal remark here, I think you are off your rocker to even suggest this. /images/graemlins/cool.gif You are suggesting that the Democratic candidate is essentially betraying American national security to kowtow to the French and the Germans? Unbelievable.

"Lack of making a face saving deal is far different than having a legitimate reason to conduct a war."

When the reason given to the American people by the Bush administration about the war in Iraq is no longer believable, a face saving deal will be of the essence. Keep watching the news, baby.

Phat Mack
04-13-2004, 04:20 PM
When the reason given to the American people by the Bush administration about the war in Iraq is no longer believable, a face saving deal will be of the essence. Keep watching the news, baby.

I remember a Herblock cartoon from the late 60's-early 70's. A bunch of generals are sitting around a table in their dress uniforms. One of them says something like, "I know! We'll bring the troops home, have a parade and declare Victory!"

I'll be damned if that's not what they did. Get ready to see some more "Mission Accomplished!" signs.