PDA

View Full Version : new to HE expanding game base

05-11-2002, 06:27 PM
Hi , I'm relatively new to the game of HE as I recently decided to expand my game base

(thanks LJ) I have read Lee Jones book twice and Lou Kreigers More HE excellence

twice and highlighted things I thought were important. I have also read Hold em poker By

sklansky many times and both Roy Cooke's books at least once (sorry Roy), I have read

the fool proof guide as well as TTOP both at least once through. I have played on line free

games using all this advice for quite a few hours.

the questions are: What should I study next? What kind of initial BR do I need for 2-4 to

4-8 Las Vegas games, What kind of per hour win average and variation should I expect in

these games. how do the free play games (masters at PP and irc poker I use Greg’s poker

client) compare to the actual low limit games I can expect to find in LV?

danken schon

05-12-2002, 12:33 AM
The free money games are a joke and are not good preparation for live games. The stakes need to have some meaning. However, based on what you've read and your experience with other poker games, you are more than ready for 4-8 games on the Strip.

With good play, you can win 1BB+/hr with very little variance compared to larger games.

You're next step is to jump into the games and post some hands on this forum.

05-12-2002, 11:17 AM
The lowest limits on Paradise (and probably others) play like this:

Everyone has read some kind of advice on starting hands and apart from a few gluesniffers nobody is way out of line. Flop play gets a little passive.

On the last two rounds the action totally freezes. I've lost track of the number of times I've been betting top pair-top kicker all the way and lose to top two or middle set (protect your hand you dummy!!) thats been check calling all the way.

Trying the microlimits might be half a step towards "real play" but keep in mind that you are facing nothing but geeks with preflop-charts on the desk in front of them.

Good luck

05-26-2002, 11:13 AM