PDA

View Full Version : De Profundis

invictus
04-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Today I realized I'm a below average poker player. A week ago I would have told you, if asked, that I was quite good. In my home game I win a respectable amount, given the small stakes, and have done well in the few local tournaments I've entered. I own many poker books and have actually read several of them. Because of this, I was able to convince myself that I understood the game and played well. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

Over the past week I've been playing, Low/Micro-limit Holdem and small stakes Pot/No-Limit Holdem on partypoker.com. I have lost $350. I don't care about the money, it's my pride that's hurt. I am demoralized by losing consistently to what I believe to be very weak opposition. I mean COME ON, it's not Hellmuth and Ivey I'm playing against in the 50 cent/$1 games. I suffered several criminal beats, especially in No-Limit games with a lot of money at stake, but will not use that to excuse losing play. I need to make better decisions. I need to stay off-tilt. I need to study the game. I need to play thousands more hands. I need to post questions on these forums. And I will.

It's tough living without illusions.

--Invictus

astroglide
04-13-2004, 11:24 AM
good for you man

jasonHoldEm
04-13-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's tough living without illusions

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but you'll never become a great player until you do...congrats on making a big step that many players never accomplish.

jHE

Sloats
04-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Just figured I'd ask.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-13-2004, 01:48 PM
It's tough living without illusions.

Becoming aware of your limitations is often the first real step to success.

invictus
04-13-2004, 08:03 PM
I hope that this is the first step towards improved play. It may sound naive and I'm sure many rookies say this, but I really want to become an expert player.

Would anyone be willing to analyze some of my hands? I would be happy to pay you whatever seems reasonable, or, would it be better to just post decisive hands here and ask for comments?

I am going to be re-reading Sklansky's first book, over the next week...not just going to skim this time. Then Jones and Krieger....again.

Thank you for your encouragement.

--Invictus

Vazh
04-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Start posting hands in the appropriate forum. That will get you well on your way.

badplayer
04-14-2004, 11:08 PM
You are not alone. I've had similar results. I thought I could beat the beginners even though I was one myself. After winning day-after-day, week-after-week at the fake tables, I thought at least I'd have a chance at the real tables. Not even close. Right?

My first time playing a $1/2 table I had incredible luck. I went from $50 to $165 in just ten minutes. Instead of rejoicing in that, I found it rather frightening. If I won that much that quickly, I knew I could also lose it that quickly. So from then on, I played it safe, very tight.

But then over the next few weeks, I lost $300. So now, I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I was routinely getting beaten with big hands. And now, it doesn't seem like I can do anything right. I play AA strongly only to lose to a straight on the river. I make a king-high flush only to find someone else had the ace-high flush. Blah, blah. I know you've heard all these before. They're nothing new. Evidently, that's Poker.

So am I really just a horrible player?
Or is this just a down-swing?
Or both? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jasonHoldEm
04-14-2004, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But then over the next few weeks, I lost $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is "only" 150 BB's which is high, yes, but not completely off the chart. It's quite possible that you've had a run of bad luck combined with a few leaks that you're not aware of. Keep your chin up, examine your play, post some hands, and find those leaks...luck evens out, leaks are always losers.

Peace,
jHE