PDA

View Full Version : some laptops already have video-card capability

MicroBob
04-12-2004, 10:28 PM
i just discovered that i can already set up a 2nd monitor with my laptop and i don't need to go to the store to try to install one of those video-card thingees.

i have a dell inspiron 5100.

just thought some of you would like to know.
i went into a computer store today to ask if they could help me do it (was going to bring my computer in tomorrow).....then i came home to see if i had all the right cables and i discovered that my computer already had this capability under 'control-panel' 'display'.

for those that don't know....the mouse moves from monitor over to the other and it basically increases your screen-size.

so i can play 4-tables on one screen and surf 2+2 on the other screen and it's much easier.

if you're computer doesn't have this capability already....it looked the price for the video-card was only $29 so it's not a huge investment. of course, an extra monitor will cost a little bit more if you don't already have one.

also, got a screen-light filter thingee at office-depot today (was shopping for other stuff but it caught my eye).
it is much much less strain on my eyes when placed over the screen....although it doesn't really fit over a laptop screen it was well worth it to me.
i can experiment with the brightness settings all i want and it still bothers my eyes (sometimes more, sometimes less)....but this monitor screen-filter thing really eases the strain and may keep me from going blind in the long-run.