PDA

View Full Version : How'd I play this set?

asdf1234
04-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Usual loose 2/4 gang.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls, UTG+1 raises, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls, Hero raises, UTG+1 3-bets, MP1 folds, CO folds, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, SB folds, BB calls, Hero raises, UTG+1 calls, BB calls.

River: (19 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

I'm mostly concerned with the flop. Should I bet this out or was the checkraise correct?

asdf1234
04-12-2004, 10:13 PM
OK, let's be more specific. Was it correct to try and checkraise the flop to get tons of bets in (given my position relative to the pf raiser) or should I bet out so that he raises and drives people out? I want to hear others ideas on this.

Bob T.
04-12-2004, 10:17 PM
With the raiser to your left. And a probably bet coming from that position on the flop, playing for the checkraise is the right play. When he threebets, I like the call and checkraise the turn play.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

jmark
04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When he threebets, I like the call and checkraise the turn play.

[/ QUOTE ]

What % of the time does this play work? (This is the stop and go, right?) How much better do you think this is over capping the flop and leading the turn? Maybe I need to get trickier.

PS Did UTG have AdQd or AA/KK? What did the BB have? I would have thought a couple of diamonds but what did he call the river with? 2 pair?

Brain
04-12-2004, 10:27 PM
i like the checkraise with the PF raiser on your immediate left. all the better to let him bet and catch the others in between instead of you betting, him raising, and making the others call 2 cold.

asdf1234
04-12-2004, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What % of the time does this play work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, this depends on the player, but an aggressive player who puts in the last bet on the flop is almost certainly going to bet the turn. This is especially true in this case because he is not in a position to go for a free card.

This can be considerably better if you trap several players for 2 bets, one at a time, on an expensive street.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I need to get trickier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely, especially at this limit. Much of the time, straightforward play is best, but this situation presented itself very nicely.

sfer
04-12-2004, 10:39 PM
The flop checkraise is good. The good draws aren't folding so trap everyone. And I agree with Bob T; the flop call and turn checkraise is a beauty.

jmark
04-12-2004, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is especially true in this case because he is not in a position to go for a free card

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks that makes alot of sense.

Bob T.
04-13-2004, 12:00 AM
This can be considerably better if you trap several players for 2 bets, one at a time, on an expensive street.

Which was likely the case this time, with the SB, and BB calling the threebet. If the threebettor bets the turn, and they call again, you can checkraise all three of them, and you are likely to get a couple of extra BIG bets out of the play.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Joe Tall
04-13-2004, 09:33 AM
You play played it perfectly.

Peace,
Joe Tall

PokerBob
04-13-2004, 10:03 AM
I bet this flop for SURE.