PDA

View Full Version : My Most Embarrassing Moment

05-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Bellagio 15/30 last night.

I had been playing for 10 hours straight and I am playing the best poker of my life - all the elements of my game were in sync: reading players, table selection, adjusting to the game, discipline, strong fundementals, table image. Then out of nowhere I make the worst and most embarrassing poker blunder of my life.

I have JJ utg and I raise. BB (strong tight agressive but predictable player calls).

Flop comes J,2,3 two clubs.

He checks and I check. I almost never slowplay but it was called for here given the small pot (4.5 small bets) and the fact that this guy leads when he hits the flop so he probably would have folded. Probably a mistake to slowplay here, but a small one.

turn is a 7c - putting three clubs on the board.

He checks, I bet, he calls. He is definately on a flush draw. He would have fired with a pair (or have folded) and he would never play a hand like 4,5 preflop.

4c hits the river and he bets his flush. I think about it for a minute and realize my trip Jacks are no good. So I muck.

But wait - I am going to show him that I am laying down trip Jacks because I wanted him to know I slowplayed and probably more importantly that I was so smart to make such a good laydown. This action alone was totally against the table image I had worked hard to create.

I throw my jacks face up on the muck and tell him his flush is good. End of hand.

But wait, the dealer turns to me in complete astonishment and says, "Why in the world are you throwing away a full house?".

To my absolute horror, I misread the last card. It was a 3c not a 4c. Putting two 3s on the board to go with my trip jacks.

Not only did I misread the cards (which I am sure I have in the past but I cant actually remember a time) I showed the table in a cocky know-it-all manner.

The table had a hell of a laugh as my face turned bright red - stupid tourist. At least I have a good sense of humor about it.

05-10-2002, 11:27 PM
i folded a straight flush for one bet on the river after misreading the board.

$hit happens.

05-11-2002, 04:31 AM
Yeah that's a good one.

I imagine he might say "Yeah nice laydown, I had it hehehe." I'd turn bright red too /images/smile.gif

Just to make you feel better, about a month ago I called in a loose passive game with 98 of clubs. I flopped a flush draw on a paired board, and on the river my flush hit. A loose player/chronic bluffer bets into me, and with about 4 loose players behind me I just call to induce more calls. As planned, I get a couple more calls behind me and he shows trips and I proudly show my 98o. Ooops! Dave Ottosen, who was watching the hand from the rail, says to me "No more red wine." Combine that with my A3o blunder listed way below and I've come to one conclusion: no more red wine!

05-11-2002, 07:59 AM

05-11-2002, 11:33 AM
I once capped the river into 5 players with the nut 4 card straight. I got my new glasses the next day!

05-11-2002, 02:52 PM

05-11-2002, 04:31 PM
another reason not to show your hand..at least in the muck...gl

05-12-2002, 05:11 AM
it can be, but i don't think that you should expect to misread the board after 10hours of play. of course, if you are tired, it is POSSIBLE and more likely AFTER 10 hours than AFTER 2 hours. but 10 hours isn't really too long of a session.

05-12-2002, 02:20 PM

05-13-2002, 01:53 PM
I suggest more milk.