PDA

View Full Version : Too many bets on the turn?

Diplomatdcm
04-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Party Poker 5/10 (6 handed)
Hero has 9c, Ac and is CO

UTG limps, MP1 limps, Hero limps, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks

Flop(4 2/5 SB): 5c, As, 7c

BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG folds

Turn(3 1/5 BB): 9s

MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 3-bets, Hero caps, MP1 calls

River(11 1/5 BB): Jd

MP1 bets, Hero calls
Did i put in two many bets on the turn? I think maybe I should have just called the 3 bet, but i thought i would have the best hand a lot of the time and even when I don't I have a lot of outs, thoughts..

lil'
04-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Considering you limped pre-flop and called the flop bet, it seems OK.

Edge34
04-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Hey,

Raise the flop with top pair and the nut flush draw. With no PF raises its entirely possible you're good right now. Improving on the turn like you did, you are almost definitely ahead now. I'd say pumping it up here is fine. Of course, the guy was plenty confident to bet into you on the river, so the call on the river without the flush was also fine.

-Edge

HajiShirazu
04-12-2004, 03:06 PM
I would usually raise this hand preflop...A9s is the worst one I will raise with in your situation here.
Other than that, I think capping the turn is fine since you didn't raise on the flop (I would have raised on the flop, you have an extremely strong hand there, unless you were planning to raise the turn no matter what hit.) You'll see all kinds of garbage two pairs often enough for capping to be worthwhile.

stoxtrader
04-12-2004, 03:52 PM
party 5/10? I cap turn and debate raising the river. yes, a set beats you. but you'll see all kinds of hands 3 betting this turn I think. no player reads makes it a bit tougher...

Diplomatdcm
04-12-2004, 03:55 PM
I did not raise preflop because I play this hand better, behind limpers, when I don't raise preflop. I have tried playing it both ways and for me persoanlly it works better when I limp.
On the flop I did not want to raise because I had such a big hand I did not want to shut out the EP players. I was confident that I had the best draw and the best Ace, so I wanted their action. Was this flwaed rational?

Schneids
04-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I'd raise the flop with the intentions of capping it, hopefully with as many opponents in as possible.

Pair + flush draw = 15 outs = improve to two pair/trips/flush more than half the time.

I raise the flop both for value now (probably the best hand), as well as for future value (I make a better hand more than half the time so every dollar I get in on the flop, I am getting EV from in the long run... the more in, the merrier). And since you have a big hand/draw, assuming people stick around, your flop raise has made the pot bigger, so, they'll stick around even longer now and pay you off even more (since the pot is big). At least, that is my approach to raising the flop.

Your reason for limping is fine, though for my personal tastes I can't imagine playing A9s w/o raising.