PDA

View Full Version : Defection of Iraqi Police Concerns U.S.

adios
04-12-2004, 01:52 PM
This is what I was referring to in my post to Boris. In all fairness Ray more or less predicted this awhile back. It's not the only such report I've heard and read. This has been a <font color="blue"> blue </font> Monday. Boris kicks my butt (just kidding Boris). I read an absolutely depressing article about outsourcing in the WSJ this morning. Then I read an editorial in the WSJ about revamping our nuclear capability. Then I read an article about how equity REITs may be overpiced (they've a great run) of which I don't own now. Then I read about an MREIT that I thankfully lightened up on considerably 2 weeks ago but still own a little. It tanked 25+% today so far. Then I burned my copy of the WSJ /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Defection of Iraqi Police Concerns U.S.

53 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By MATT KELLEY, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Some U.S.-trained Iraqi policemen have defected to the insurgent forces of the radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and some other Iraqi security forces have failed to fulfill their duties in recent days, the top commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East said Monday.

"These numbers are not large but they are troubling to us, and clearly we've got to work on the Iraqi security forces," Gen. John Abizaid said.

Abizaid also said some troops from the Army's 1st Armored Division will stay in Iraq (news - web sites) for longer than anticipated. The entire division had been scheduled to leave Iraq by the end of next month but some units have been sent to regain control of the southern city of Kut, Abizaid said.

He refused to cite a specific number of U.S. troops that would be kept in Iraq longer than planned, but said he had requested "two brigades of combat power, if not more." A brigade normally would number from 3,500 to 5,000 soldiers.

In Fallujah, where U.S. Marines are surrounding the unstable city, no major attacks from insurgents happened during daylight hours Monday, said Army Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the commander of American ground forces in Iraq.

At the request of the Iraqi Governing Council, Marines held discussions with some of the insurgent forces inside Fallujah and began a unilateral cease-fire, Sanchez said. The Marines continue to return fire when attacked and do not consider the cease-fire strong enough to begin actual negotiations with anyone inside Fallujah, he said.

"These are just initial discussions. We are not negotiating at this point until we achieve some confidence-building and some stability," Sanchez said.

To the south, American and coalition forces have regained control of Kut and Nasiriyah from a militia led by al-Sadr, the anti-American Shiite cleric, Sanchez said in a two-way video conference with reporters at the Pentagon (news - web sites).

Al-Sadr's supporters still control the holy city of Najaf and parts of Karbala, Sanchez said. Coalition forces have encircled those cities to be prepared to move against al-Sadr's militia at some point, he added.

The coalition's mission is to kill or capture al-Sadr, Sanchez said.

Advisors from U.S. special operations forces units will join some Iraqi security units to try to improve the Iraqi's training and command structure, Abizaid told reporters.