PDA

View Full Version : How to bet 4 to the nut flush?

05-10-2002, 01:16 PM
All,

No specific hand to analyze, just an general strategy question. My question is about betting 4 to the nut flush on the flop, turn and river.

Lets say I have AXs, flop comes SSx. (four to a flush)

Normally, I will bet out or raise the flop depending on position. (would you check raise here?).

I will then bet/call if blank hits on the turn. Normally I do not raise on the turn, right/wrong?

If the flush card hits on the turn, I normally bet out, since again check raises rarely work (it seems that I end up giving the river card away for free if I check the turn).

I will check/call, or check/fold on the river depending on the board and the hand. Of course if I get hit the flush, I bet out. Anyone check raise here? For me check raises seem to rarely work once the 3rd flush card hits the board.

My real question is how often do you bet/raise the turn in anticipation of the flush hitting? It seems like more often than not when I do this, it does NOT hit, and it costs me extra bets. But, if I do not raise the turn, and the flush card hits the river, everyone puts me on the flush and fold. Assume in all cases no pair on board.

How do you guys bet this scenario!! It seems to come up more and more often for me, as I usually play ALL Axs from just about any position (yeah, I know a little too loose! I trying!)

I realize it is hard to help without a specific hand to dissect and there are a million variables to consider. Just really looking for general guidlines!

Thanks in advance!

Paul

05-10-2002, 02:04 PM
i generally cap the flop with the nut flush draw...

the turn, i may bet out..and will call a raise..unless theres about 5 or 6 people in, then i may ram and jam a little...

thats if your only going for the flush...if you have str8 flush possibilities, then im lookin at 3-4 players in....but remember that if someone else is ramming with you, they usually have something also to be ramming with...and it wont be a draw, since your on the draw..

you can also ram a top, maybe mid set on the turn if you have enough players in...at least 4-5, even if you know they have a better hand at the time...

again...if you miss though...be prepared to dump...

and if the field drops below the required number of players, just call...its only +EV with a certain # of players in there...

without any other variables, these are some generalities...

have a good one...

b

05-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Along with bernie's play, I will jam a nut flush draw all the way, but be carefull if another player is re-raising you, they could have a set and if the board pairs, your flush may not be the best hand.

05-10-2002, 04:38 PM
raising the whole way with fewer players...

not saying never to do it, but it can be very costly if you miss a coulple draws. id cap the flop, except HU id only raise then call, but on the turn without the players in, its -EV every bet you put in...though you still should call

watch out...

b

05-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Jam the flop, and if the flush doesn´t get there on turn, usually check and call, perhaps bet through turn and river sometimes no matter what if there are only few players left and those are not known as poker police. A lot also depends on your position.

05-10-2002, 08:33 PM
On the river, you are 4:1 to make your flush. If you've got 4 or more people who will call your turn bet, then bet it. Also, if you have other outs (straight, top pair, etc), then you can bet with fewer callers.