PDA

View Full Version : Two 3 bet hands.

05-10-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm way, way more aggressive than most players, especially post flop. I still have a hard time preflop sometimes (yes I know, laugh at me, I'm not the worlds best preflop player /images/wink.gif) as the ATo discussion a few days back shows - I can't make myself commit extra chips to a non-open, non-blindsteal 2 bet without AA KK QQ JJ TT 99 AK AQ (I can usually eek out a raise with AJs/ATs/KQs though). But I'm working on it, heh. Anyways, here's a couple (somewhat) interesting hands from last night I had where I played a bit passively post flop though.

#1) PP 1/2, 7 handed at the moment. UTG open raises. No real read on this guy at the moment. I 3 bet in EMP with AcKc. Folded to UTG who calls.

Flop: Qc Td 3h

He checks, I bet, and he calls.

Turn: 5s

He checks. I almost always bet here. But I check behind this time, just kind of on a feeling I guess. I had already made up my mind to call the river bet if its a blank.

River: Jh [5s Qc Td 3h]

He bets, I raise, he thinks for a good ten seconds and reraises, I of course cap and he calls. I win vs his K9s (clue for sale). How often do you bet the turn on this type of board after 3 betting an EP raiser.. forget for a minute what cards he had, heh.

#2) PP 1/2. I open raise in EP with TdTc. Folded to the button (no read) who 3 bets. I call and its heads up.

Flop:

Jc 9h 3s

I bet out and he raises. I USUALLY checkraise here and see what happens, but again I just get this feeling, and I don't particularly want to throw away any more chips than necessary. Now here is my question: in this situation, how often do you just dump it right there and go onto the next hand? Does the 3 straight influence your decision? Was I justified taking one off on the flop? I of course call, since I'm asking and all, but I'm thinking of course if there's a blank on the turn its check fold time.

Turn:

Qh

Welp now I'm stuck huh?

I check and he.. checks? Thanks buddy!

River:

Kc [Qh Jc 9h 3s]

I bet and he calls, and flashes AA so everyone can see his bad beat.

Comments on these 2?

05-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Hand #1: 3-betting preflop is fine, but also consider smoothcalling since your suitedness doesn't mind a multiway pot. Checking the turn is fine, but generally I would bet about 80% of the time.

Hand #2: You played it fine.

05-10-2002, 01:59 PM
I'm not saying this as if I know better. I've watched your play/posts and think you've turned a major corner. Now, I'm going to be more worried when I see you sitting down -- my game hasn't gotten that much better.

The key. Just because you check it does'nt mean you're passive. I think you've nailed this.

On both hands if the cards were turned over I don't think you play it any differntly. Both hands were perfect, IMO.

Hand 1: I think you'll start to see your AKs as big winners now. Isn't it much better to trap someone into thinking they have the best hand and take 4BBs, plus the pot. Say if you bet the turn and he's a sane player -- doesn't have the odds to draw his gutshot. He drops and you win. You haven't sqeaked out the max with AK. It would also work if the the King hits. I think checking this hand on the turn is the best route (here -- heads up out of posistion) as it's a dominating hand and pays off much more nicely when you're dominating.

Been in the same spot as you on the river. When I get raised, I'm thinking we're tied. Heck I've got the nuts, the rake's maxed and I love hitting that raise button. It's as if I'm waiting 10 minutes for an elevator, I just can't stop pressing the button! And, I just shake my head and smile when I take the pot rather than splitting.

Hand2: You might want to bet the open ended str8 draw. In this case I think checking is by far the best route as you don't want to get check-raised by someone with aces. Again, I don't think it's passsive - just the best decision at this point.

05-10-2002, 02:08 PM
hand 1

id bet the turn

hand 2

wasnt a bad beat since he he wouldve played it probably the same. i may have raised the flop on him...cheap street for a test...once you turn the openender your seeing the river...

b

05-10-2002, 02:13 PM
if you think your tied, AND you have the nuts...and theres a cap...bet to the cap...

you may catch someone thinking that the 2nd best possible is the nut...

if its a HU with unlimited raises, then after a few bets...it should be obvious your tied...then call...

but catching someone overbetting 2nd best, feels fantastic

b