PDA

View Full Version : Button move for three-way in a tournament

torsloke
04-12-2004, 03:05 AM
A question I hope one of you wizened poker gods can shed some light on. I'm playing in a home game that is a tourney. When the third-place finisher gets knocked out, I know that the button is the small blind and acts first pre-flop and second post-flop. The question that seems to have us stymied is figuring out who inherits said small-blind button depending on which player was knocked out. Since the philosophy of the dead-button is to keep any player from paying either the small or big blind twice, or conversely to have a player who skips either the small or big blind it seems to me that these scenarios make sense:

1) If the dealer is the player knocked out, the button moves to the player who was the big blind and he becomes the small-blind button for the next hand, with the player who was small blind becoming the big blind for the next hand.
2) If the small blind is the player knocked out, the button moves to to the player who was the big blind and he becomes the small-blind button for the next hand, with the player who was the button becoming the big blind for the next hand.
3) If the big blind is knocked out, the player who was the small blind becomes the small-blind button for the next hand and the player who was the button becomes the big blind for the next hand.

I've looked through most of the rules posted online, but this scenario doesn't seem to be addressed. If you know of a rule-book I could quote for the next game, that would be a god-send. Unfortunately, most players are not enlightened and the phrase "Well, at two+two they say..." doesn't carry the weight that it should. Thank you in advance for your wisdom and time.

Lottery Larry
04-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I think it comes down to who is due the big blind next- the other person gets the button

Pretty much what you detailed out.

stags14
04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
"There are 3 players remaining - Player1 (Button), Player2 (SB), and Player3 (BB). If Player1 is eliminated - Player2 is BB and Player3 is SB and Button. If Player2 is eliminated - Player1 is BB and Player3 is SB and Button. If Player3 is eliminated - Player1 is BB and Player2 is SB and Button."

From Roberts Rules of Poker:
http://www.diamondcs.net/~thecoach/RobsPkrRules3.htm

Another great source of info:
http://www.homepokertourney.com/index.htm