PDA

View Full Version : I gotta tell someone -- I made it to the WSOP

magithighs
04-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Well after playing way too much poker and working at my game, I finally made it into the WSOP in a Pokerstars satellite tonight.

Reload this was aslo playing and won a seat as well. It'll be fun seeing Layne playing with a Pokerstars Hat!

Anyways, many thanks to all of you who helped my game over the past couple of years.

It's weird that when I started out I was playing against Vehn_ and David Ross on the Paradise .5/1 and 1/2 tables. Now they're pros and I'm hanging with em!

Cheers
Magi

Vehn
04-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Way to go man good job. Was there ever any doubt any of us would get this far? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Clarkmeister
04-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Congrats and good luck.

southerndog
04-12-2004, 10:04 AM
AWESOME!! Good luck man!

LetsRock
04-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Congrats!

Do us proud.

Tyler Durden
04-12-2004, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reload this was aslo playing and won a seat as well. It'll be fun seeing Layne playing with a Pokerstars Hat!

[/ QUOTE ]

So reloadthis was Layne Flack? I played last night, he was at my table. I finished 35th /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Paddy
04-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey, congratulations!

Good luck in Vegas.

wm r the rake
04-12-2004, 02:36 PM
congrats man!!!!

M.B.E.
04-12-2004, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

AWESOME!! Good luck man!

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhh, based on her avatar on Stars, Magithighs is not a man.

scotnt73
04-12-2004, 05:42 PM
congrats!

magithighs
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Yup, reloadthis is Layne (as far as I've read -- he also confirmed that last night).

When I got down to the last two tables I had him two seats to my right and two very big stacks on either side of me. Stealing blinds was incredibly difficult! I stayed out of his way for the most part but I did fire back one time with Queens and he laid down pre-flop. Thankfully he was moved to the other table and I was able to operate more freely. I don't think I would have made it if he stayed at my table, as I had to scrape by and hang in by blind stealing and playing back hard.

Good luck next week if you try again.

Cheers
Magi

magithighs
04-12-2004, 06:45 PM
I could be a man with a cool picture!

Cheers
Magi

Duke
04-12-2004, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So reloadthis was Layne Flack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it is, unless he was using someone else's account the single time I've seen him log on.

~D

Boris
04-12-2004, 09:08 PM
congrats! maybe we will chop it. I'll probably wear my pstars jacket with "dirtrancher" embroidered on the front. say hi if you feel like it.

magithighs
04-12-2004, 10:26 PM
I'd love to be in a position to chop with you. Would be way cool to have two of us from here! I'll try and look you up, as it would be nice to meet someone from here in person.

Congrats on your entry as well. Have you been in it before? Wouldn't mind a few tips when we're there.

Cheers
Magi

krazyace5
04-13-2004, 01:58 AM
Congratulations, no wonder you kicked my ass heads up /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good Luck in the WSOP.

Maybe I will be able to brag to my friends that I played with the champion.

PokerBabe(aka)
04-13-2004, 09:36 AM
OUTSTANDING JOB. Congrats and enjoy.

Above all, PLEASE LGPG,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Bob T.
04-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Congratulations, and good luck.

Bob T.

Fmonti
04-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Congrats...What were the details of your qualifying?Did you use FPP or was it a cash entry ? Did you qualify in a satellite 1st? How many were in the tournament and how many qualified to play in the WSOP?... Good luck and keep us informed...

magithighs
04-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks PB! Was hoping I could catch your attention at some point on these boards.

BTW, thanks for pointing out Tommy's site as I read through his stories and found some inspiration there. The parallel parking story was my favourite and helped me think through risk tolerance and how it applies to the game. It was a great help. I suppose I should send Tommy a thank you -- problem is I have a business idea I want to propose but wasn't sure about the timing. So, I'll hold off until after the tourney. But in the interim -- Thanks for the site Tommy!

My main goal is to play good and really enjoy the ride. Is that what LGPG means -- live good, play good?

Cheers
Magi

magithighs
04-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for asking -- it's quite a story (from my perspective!)

I played in the Pokerstars $3 tourney on Thursday night. There were around 200 players and two seats to the 650 tourney. Didn't rebuy once and added on at the first break. They key for me was not being too greedy on hands like KK and AA. I had one coin flip which i won in the middle of the tournament. Final table I just picked on the lowest chip person and used the guy to my right to help out. That guy was mallman a good predictable (from my vantage point) player. I knew he had the same goal. So, when he was in a steal position I stayed away and I moved in when he didn't and kept the pressure on the low stacks. I made it to the top two (top chip count), and I'm in for the Sunday tourney.

So, I'm thinking Sunday's a perfect day to play. With it being Easter and all, I'm thinking the pros will be having family time and it'll be an easier lineup. So, I'm checking out the line up about 1/2 hour before the game starts and I spot reloadthis (layne flack) in the line up. L8r I find out the Bellagio is closed and their regulars are online. Yikes, so much for my thought that it would be an easier day.

I'm keeping an eye on Layne while I'm playing and we are on par in chip count and successfully making it through the midpoint. At a key point he makes a 4X raise and two seats to his left a guy goes all in. He calls and risks half his stack. Layne flips over TT and the other guy has 99. Now, I'm hoping Layne doesn't get to my table as he's got a decent size stack.

Low and behold he gets to my table when we're down to two tables. Yikes, he's two to my right and I'm sandwiched between two huge stacks (little more than double my stack and triple Layne's). I'm henpecked. A key hand, Layne raises 4X and with a big pocket I go with 8 or 10X and layne folds. Again, the key for me on Sunday was not trying to win the tourney with one hand like AA or KK and being satisfied with building my stack.

A key mistake just about put me out. It only took six hours, but I got greedy. I called a small pre-flop raise with pocket 9's and didn't go all-in when I hit the set on the flop. I put in a sizeable bet on the turn. Anti-hero goes all in on the river and flips over the str8. Ouch, now I have a little over 2K in chips with the average around 25K and I'm in 12'th spot out of 12 with 9 going to WSOP.

Wouldn't you know it --- the very next hand I get the rockets and limp. The SB limps and calls my all in desparation bet and pays me off. A twenty minute break comes and I've got two hands before the 1.2 K blind hits me. I get QT of spades on the first hand and push in. The small blind calls me and flips over A9. It could be worse, and then the flop brings a 9. Ouch, it is worse. I start chanting, QT, QT, QT. The turn brings a T and then a brick hits the river. Yes! A couple of blind steals and I'm back in!

Then it's survival mode for me. We're now down to ten players (9 go to WSOP) and I'm watching the other table and there's two lower stacks. I can't believe I did this. UTG makes a 4X raise and I fold, yes I fold AK in the SB. Not sure I've ever done that, but the Tommy Angelo story of folding aces preflop inspired me (see his web site www.tiltless.com (http://www.tiltless.com) (not titless btw)). Basically, I knew UTG would call my all-in raise and at best I would have a coin flip and at worst I would be a dog. I came this far and by golly I wasn't going down on a coin-flip. The blinds were just way too easy to steal (it was like an 80% succes ratio on the steals).

So, I hung on and made it in as the 7'th place in chip count.

symphonic
04-13-2004, 10:42 PM
I think you could make it up to tommy by wearing a www.tommyangelo.com (http://www.tommyangelo.com) tshirt /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
04-13-2004, 11:26 PM
"My main goal is to play good and really enjoy the ride. Is that what LGPG means -- live good, play good?"

LGPG is the PokerBabe's motto and stands for "Look Good, Play Good". I love your interpretation of LG as "Live Good". Cute. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LGPG

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif