PDA

View Full Version : 83o in the BB

05-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Yo,

I played the following hand online (25 cent/50 cents) and I think I set myself up for being (semi-)bluffed out of a pot on the turn, but I'm not sure whether I really had a choice.

I get a free play with 83o in the BB, after two middle-position plaers limped in and the SB folded.

The flop is 678 rainbow.

I bet. I already knew they were not both gonna fold, and in fact both called. The turn is a K.

You guessed it, I checked here, the last player to act bet, and I folded what later turned out to be the best hand. (The bettor had a 4-flush plus an A, the second player had a 6.)

Should I bet the turn and fold to a raise? Remember, at this table my bet would have been called, most likely, by at least one player. What do I do then on the river??

Should I have called the turn bet??

Thanks,

Steven

05-09-2002, 03:26 PM
I would have folded too. The pot is small (3-1/2 BB), so I would think that if this is a mistake, it's not a huge one.

These situations come up so often in passive games where you get to play the BB for free. You get a free play with K3o and 4 limpers- the flop comes J7K 2-suited, now what to you do? I usually end up checking and folding if there is any action, because betting or check/calling usually end up in costing me because someone outkicked me.

05-09-2002, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't have bet this flop with this hand. I'd check. If anybody but the last player bets, I fold, and if turns out I folded a winner, well that's how it goes sometimes. If the last player bets, I'll check-raise and see if I can't get it down to him and me. If not, I'm probably out on the turn.

It's rarely a good idea to push small edges in these micro-limit games, which is what you're doing when you bet a small top pair with no kicker into a straight flop from waaaaaaaaay out of position versus calling stations. Even if you're good enough to show a small overall gross profit in these situations, it will be consumed by the rake, and you will have added tremendously to your variance without having any additional profit to show for it.

TRLS

05-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Thanks Lin,

I like your response, I never thought about it that way.

S.

05-10-2002, 12:25 PM
I'd bet and fold to a raise at that limit, player dependent of course. check/fold seems like a mistake since, if checked to, a flush or a straight draw could easily bet away thinking you bluffed at the flop. checking the turn often feels like begging to have plays made against you. can't bet then fold too much though or someone will wise up. if it was an A instead of a K I'd probably check/fold.