PDA

View Full Version : Drawing the Line on a Flopped Set

Girazze
04-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Was wondering what everyone thought about when to slow play a set and when to make a bold statement and end the hand pronto. I've been playing for about 2 months now and have done fairly well. Having some success lately on the NL25 tables at PP. I tend to be pretty aggressive when I flop a set, especially when it is a somewhat low set, say a set of 9's and below. I don't want the hand to progress any further to avoid anyone from catching cards to build a better hand. I know flopped sets are very well hidden and that helps a lot but where do you draw the line with slow playing them for value and taking it right then and there.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Dynasty
04-11-2004, 08:26 PM
I usually play them by betting and raising at every opportunity.

However, the last thing I want is to "end the hand pronto" or even "avoid anyone from catching cards to build a better hand".

I like it when the call all my bets and raises. That means I'm winning.

1800GAMBLER
04-11-2004, 09:51 PM
NL sets are different from limit sets.

The most obvious one is you can pay more to flop them, due to you'll gain more (~10 times) when you hit them.

Secondly, slowplaying costs more in NL than limit, as you'll have more money behind thus giving them more implied odds. This isn't true on Party's NL games for more reasons than just stack size.

The second point doesn't mean you don't want the hand to progess any further, you'll go broke playing these hands if it didn't go any further, i.e. you flopped it and everyone folded. If you don't understand that you are short of a copy of The Theory of Poker.

Girazze
04-12-2004, 01:58 AM
I assume you are paying more to flop them because you are initially betting on the pair in your hand?

And yes, you are correct.....I AM short of a copy of TOP but I did understand what you said.

Thanks for replies