PDA

View Full Version : Mikkelson

andyfox
04-11-2004, 06:07 PM
23 wins. And a clutch perfromance for the ages today.

This guy, as I said to HDPM, is underrated. The greatest player of the modern era behind Tiger.

ohkanada
04-11-2004, 06:12 PM
It was an awesome round of golf by him and many others today. I rarely watch golf but I watched all of this one.

TheRake
04-11-2004, 06:14 PM
A true peoples champion. I literally jumped out of my chair along with millions of others I am sure. Maybe the greatest Masters ever /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheRake

Clarkmeister
04-11-2004, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The greatest player of the modern era behind Tiger.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He's still no Ernie. 12PGA wins, 34 International wins and 3 majors. That's still a significant amount better than 23, 1 and 1.

Edit: I might add Vijay has 15 PGA wins, 22 Int'l and 2 majors.

HDPM
04-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Great performance down the stretch today. I am happy for him. I couldn't have predicted this out of him 2 years ago when his head was so screwed up. He has fixed his head and played great. Maybe last year was what it took, I don't know. But he showed a lot. Good for him. I wasn't sure he could do it. Didn't think he would really. But I always said I'd be glad to be wrong and I am.

Ray Zee
04-11-2004, 07:20 PM
yep i agree with everything you said hdpm.

andyfox
04-11-2004, 07:22 PM
How many international wins does Jumbo Ozaki have? /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I mean, Montegomerie has got a ton of international wins and couldn't win here. I don't rate international wins much.

Zeno
04-11-2004, 07:35 PM
I hardly ever watch golf - But I watched the last of the Masters today from about 12 on. It was very exciting and I am glad I got to see that last putt on 18 live -it scooted a little around the rim and then dropped.

Congradulations to Phil.

southerndog
04-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Definitely the sporting event of the year. The only thing that could possibly top it is if the Sox win it all.

I cried like a little baby when he won.

Clarkmeister's right though, Ernie's the man.

adios
04-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Great clutch performance by Phil today. God was truly on his side /images/graemlins/smile.gif (just kidding).

hetron
04-11-2004, 09:57 PM
but that is now TWO lefties in a row who have won the Masters.

Left-handed golfers rule!:)

Bill Murphy
04-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Just a great win by Phil. Phold no more. He had every opportunity to come up short, but he played the final 7 holes superbly. I have always said that once he won the first one, the dam would break. I would expect him to have at least 2 more major wins by the start of the 2006 Masters.

However, "The greatest player of the modern era behind Tiger." ??? I assume by modern era, you mean the last ten years. Your point about int'l wins is well taken, to a point, but I believe Els is clearly number two, and its not close.

Again, tho, brilliant golf today by both of them on the back nine.

NotMitch
04-11-2004, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many international wins does Jumbo Ozaki have? /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I mean, Montegomerie has got a ton of international wins and couldn't win here. I don't rate international wins much.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the US Open was stopped after 9 holes I think Jumbo Ozaki would have won in 27 times. Seems like every year he shot 31 on the front 9.

andyfox
04-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah, modern era means post-Nicklaus/Watson.

How important are Els' international wins?

Bill Murphy
04-12-2004, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, modern era means post-Nicklaus/Watson.

How important are Els' international wins?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going back that far, Faldo & Norman would also rank ahead of Phol-er, PHIL!(hard getting used to that /images/graemlins/laugh.gif), and Price is very close.

Els' int'l wins are very important, IMO. Guy is a true world ambassador for the game. Many of these wins have been blowouts against mostly hacks, true, but it can be tough to win when you're always expected to, and easily. I'm not sure how Els' %won per #entered compares to Mick's, both in America & overall played. Obv'ly, Mick has played far more PGA events than EE.

Ozaki was an almost complete fraud, of course. Nobody outside of Japan took him seriously; I think all but a handful of his wins were in Japan, and the rest were in Asia. I know several Japanese golfers & reporters claimed Jumbo got a favorable ruling or six, before they were shut up.

Els is hardly a Jumbo. Funniest 'Best Of' list I ever seen was in Golf Magazine's Millenium issue. They did not have Els listed among the top ten golfers to come from Africa! Player was obviously number one. They had some mealy-mouthed excuse coupla issues later; "Yeah, he won the US Open twice, but so did Andy North", or some such sh1t.

Let's compare Phil & Ernie in five years, tho. If Phil takes Shinnecock or Pinehurst, along with St. Andrews & another Masters, and Ernie gets shut out....

Yes, I'm saying that I put the +/- on Phil's wins in the next 19 majors played at 2.5, and I'm taking the over.