PDA

View Full Version : Did I play these kings correctly??

benkath1
04-11-2004, 01:42 PM
I hope I am doing this right. First time poster, short time lurker. I have been playing online for about 3 months. I have read TOP, THFAP and super system(though not my favorite). I have other questions about SNG's but will post later. You guys are great!!! Thank you.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1400)
MP3 (t1480)
CO (t1450)
Button (t1470)
Hero (t1580)
BB (t1420)
UTG (t920)
UTG+1 (t1690)
MP1 (t2090)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t20, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t80) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t20</font>, BB calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t40</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t200</font>, UTG+1 calls t180, CO folds, Hero calls t160.

River: (t720) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t220</font>, UTG+1 calls t220, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t440</font>, BB calls t220, UTG+1 calls t220.

Final Pot: t2040
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t2040 (t2040), between Hero, BB and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t2040).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kd Ks (full house, kings full of threes).
BB shows Qc 3d (three of a kind, threes).
UTG+1 shows 4h As (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins t2040. </font>

blackaces13
04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Well, I only made it to preflop but the answer is a resounding NO. You absolutely HAVE to raise these cowboys before the flop. I'd make it at least 100 to go and usually more if there were some loose players in which is usually the case in the early rounds of SNG's. You can't let a guy catch an ace cheaply, its a MAJOR mistake.

Wow I just read more, you really played this hand badly. You HAVE to bet that flop. Its very unlikely someone has a 3 (even though they did) and you need to make a play for the pot. Then you can't bet 20 into an 80 unit pot, its no good. If you're gonna bet, bet at least the size of the pot. I'm sorry I sound like I'm lecturing but this hand was MANGLED and you got very lucky to win it.

This was on Pokerstars? I've heard people say thats a site with good players. The others in the hand with you played terribly. Must have been a 5+.5 because Party plays tougher than that by far.

Welcome aboard /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Stay on these forums you'll learn a lot. Again sorry for my tone I'm not trying to be a dick. Hope this helps.

SirArthur
04-12-2004, 03:15 AM
You've got to bet your monster preflop. Like the original poster said, you've got to bet atleast 100.

You want to drive out hands like q/3, don't give the bb a free look at the flop.

You want to play your large pocket pairs against one, maybe 2 opponents. Raise enough to where you think you'll get one caller, if they all fold, then so be it, take down your small pot.

You've got to bet your overpair on the flop. Around a pot sized bet to see where you stand. If you're called, (or raised) slow down significantly on the turn &amp; river.

After you hit you're nut boat on the river, bet much more than you did, atleast bump it up to 600 minimum. You're only losing to quads here.

You played this hand very badly with pretty much ever move, and were extremely fortunate to nail your boat on the river.

Be fortunate you posted this hand, learning from your mistakes is crucial.

Welcome to the forum!

brian0729
04-12-2004, 09:39 AM
You will probably get more detailed responses by posting this hand in the 1 table tournaments or multi table tournaments forum. GL

Welcome to the forum

benkath1
04-12-2004, 09:47 AM
I think you are right brian. But after the 2 toungue lashings here I think I will keep this hand quiet.

I Really appreciate the 2 responses I got. Looking back I can't believe I played them that way. I guess I am kind of shocked you guys give out such good advice. What I really don't understand is how anybody can play poker and not read these boards. I feel like I have a huge advantage just in the knowledge I pick up here. Thanks for the lectures guys. It was obviously MUCH needed.
Ben

Tosh
04-12-2004, 08:59 PM
...harsh but true.

Preflop: Bump it to 100 ish.

Flop: Bet your hand. You wanna make it a decent sized bet as well.

Turn: Too small a bet. Whatsmore you have no idea if hes raising a 3 he's slowplayed or just a jack because you haven't put him to the test.

River: You hit your miracle card. Nice check raise but why so little ? You must surely have read him for a 3 by now. Raise all-in, he will call.

StevieG
04-12-2004, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are right brian. But after the 2 toungue lashings here I think I will keep this hand quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be an even worse mistake.

After posting here, I've had my play or thoughts called, at various times, "stupid", "weak", "silly", and even "horrendous". That last one just happened last week. And every time I've learned a lot from people. Don't be thin skinned. People here just call 'em like they see 'em.

More often than not, the harsh words are meant to underscore the size of the mistake, not as a personal attack. You'll know the difference when posters include relevant information to go along with the disparaging word. That almost always happens here.

The only time I am upset about responses here is when I get no feedback at all.

I learn all the time here from my own mistakes and others, and from people having the honesty to tell me they are real mistakes.

Welcome aboard!