PDA

View Full Version : Unsure on the turn: AJs

afk
04-11-2004, 12:26 PM
I hadn't played with UTG before, he seemed so have some inkling of what he was doing though. He scolded another player for calling 3 cold with 63o (I think) by saying "It defeats the very nature of the game". I've found that most times I get check-raised in microlimits I'm up against a solid hand, so it tends to knock me back on my heels if I don't think my hand is good enough to 3-bet.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Is the call ok? Or is this an easy 3-bet? What hands would he check-raise here? That aren't too unreasonable calling hands... 99, A9?, 33...

Turn: (7.20 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ...???

Nemesis
04-11-2004, 12:45 PM
I'd have to call it down unfortunately. I may be wrong, but i have a very tough time letting go of an ace with a good kicker. He didn't raise pre-flop so it's not EXTREMELY likely in my opinion that he has you dominated... although he may be limping deceptively. Check/call through the river and hope for another A or a jack.

Piiop
04-11-2004, 01:19 PM
You must reraise the flop. You probably have the best hand. The hands that beat you are AA, AK, AQ, 99, A9, and 33. This is a draw-free board so you don't have to worry about that. He probably has an Ace too and is testing to see if you have one. If he caps, then you can worry about a set or a better Ace hand.

Since you didn't raise the flop, you're now on the expensive street so if you raise the turn and he 3-bets that means you should fold. Instead, you can just call the turn and river for the same price.

Mangatang
04-11-2004, 03:28 PM
I would 3-bet the flop here. If he caps it, then you can go into check/call mode. In a micro-limit game, people almost always get agressive with top pair regardless of kicker, so you could easily still have the check-raiser beat.

If he just calls the 3-bet and checks the turn, I would bet out until you run into resistance. If he bets out the turn, just call it down.

afk
04-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I called, BB folded.
An ace came on the river. He bet, I raised, he 3-bet, I answered the phone and accidentally hit call when I wanted to cap.
He had AJo and we split the pot.

StellarWind
04-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm OK with just calling the flop checkraise. Contrary to what one poster said, it's really bad that there are no draws on the board. That means he has a real hand. If I had a read that your opponent was aggressive I would completely change my advice, but I don't so I make the percentage play and assume he is somewhat passive.

Likely hands are 99, A9, A3, and 33. Most people play these UTG and anyone would feel good about pounding you with them.

Possible hands are AK*, AQ, AJ, AT, and Ax. Of course the first two are bad and the third is a wash. So we are left with AT or worse to justify a reraise. Sorry, but most micro players will either 1) call this down in fear or 2) bet once and then call it down in fear. Only the aggressive minority would consider a checkraise.

I don't see how 3-betting the flop and risking a cap when you're behind is a money-making proposition. Call him down and see what he has.

* Sorry folks, but I saw an UTG limper with AKo tonight, it happens all the time.

afk
04-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the input.
[ QUOTE ]

Possible hands are AK*
* Sorry folks, but I saw an UTG limper with AKo tonight, it happens all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I got burned by an AA limper UTG tonight. I thought he was being tricky at first, until he called 3 cold preflop with J3s.

bisonbison
04-12-2004, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I think calling down is fine.

I would actually expect to see AQ or A9 here a good portion of the time.

chief444
04-12-2004, 09:25 AM
I agree in this case. If UTG was aggressive and could be semi-bluffing then I would either 3-bet or call the flop and raise the turn (since you are probably going to call this down anyway). However, since their are no real draws likely I would probably play it the same. I would call the turn in hope that the BB will overcall with a worse hand and probably very few outs.