PDA

View Full Version : $&%(&^%$#@ AK

05-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Okay, you're in a loose $6-$12 game. Players call with any ace, any Kxs, and some call with Kxo. Is there a winning strategy with this hand? Do you raise utg? what if you're a late position bettor and their are callers? blinds? Ahhh...

Oh, and then there's the flop. Let's say it's A38 rainbow. I can't tell you how many times I've been knocked off by two pair. Check-raising and everything. One time recently, AK utg, raise, big blind calls with K8o, K blanety blank on the flop. he calls two bets and catches an 8 on the river.

Help!

05-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Raise with AK everytime regardless of your position. Then, bet your top pair/top kicker for value.

05-09-2002, 03:54 AM
not every time........there are times when you shouldn't raise with AK....for instance, the whole table limps in.....and you are in the small blind with AK or the BB with AK, I wouldn't raise, because then you are making the pot too big...espcecially with a lot of limpers...you are making it correct for them to continue on hands such as 55 or 88 to make their set on the turn/ river.....

05-09-2002, 06:19 AM
It sounds like you're having a bad run. When you see people keep hitting their 3-outers against you, it must eventually end and you will have your own time to shine! Just be sure you're not the one who keeps hitting his 3-outers.

05-09-2002, 09:34 AM
So, you make it correct for 55 or 88 to call. Aren't you making it better for yourself? Seven players in the pot, 7 BB with your raise.

Assume the worst with a flop of A94. You have to call two bets cold on the flop. You know you're behind. You're getting minimum 9 to 1 odds to call two bets cold on the flop easily covering the 9 to 1 you need to spike trips or two-pair. If you hadn't raised and you need to call two bets cold you have likely only around 5 to 1, making it a poor call.

Now assume you're ahead. You want multiple players chasing you. I want 55 and 88 to call one or two bets on each street.

IMO, the trick with AK is not to play it as a big pair. It needs the flop. You don't catch the flop, lots of action, no odds, it's an easy drop. It's only one BB. No need to go any further.

I'm allways amazed at how many people won't raise from the SB or BB when everyone has limped. Who cares if I've made it correct for others to hang around. I want that if I'm way ahead. If I'm not way ahead in the BB or SB, then I'm seriously thinking of folding because of my bad position.

05-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Just wanted to say that you shouldn't automatically call two bets cold with AK just because you have odds. But if you want to peel one off to get to the turn, it's nice to have the right odds.

05-09-2002, 11:39 AM
By betting for value when you have the best of it, you are increasing your returns on the occasions when the odds do bear out in your favor. The only downside to this strategy is it does increase yoru variance slightly, but it also increases your overall profit.

Lowlife Scum

05-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Simplistically:

Would you rather have 80% of $10

-or-

25% or $50

Just because there are many players doesn't mean you aren't making profit.

Treefrog