PDA

View Full Version : Stars Turbo SNGs

skaboomizzy
04-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I dunno if I missed a memo or these just popped up today, but Stars is now offering "turbo" NL HE SNGs where the blinds go up every five minutes. Rake-wise, they're a better deal at $15+1 and $25+2 and I may try one or two out today. Anybody here tried one yet?

Paul2432
04-11-2004, 11:10 AM
I've tried them. I like them. I think the regular S&Gs take too long.

Paul

Tosh
04-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I prefer them too. Definitely increase hourly rate even though I imagine they increase variance too.

TylerD
04-11-2004, 11:46 AM
I've tried a couple, one $16 and one $27. Both played, as expected, a lot looser and were done within about 45 minutes. I thought there was adequate play in them until it reached the final three, then it felt like the crap shoot I remember Ladbrokes being.

heyrocker
04-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I've played 16, and done pretty well - moneyed 7 with 4 firsts. Here are my observations.

1) Starting in early position actually gives you a real advnatge, very often the blinds will go up before the button makes a full round.

2) People are playing these WAY more manically than your normal everyday Stars SNG.

3) Most of the people here will do well with these because they understand the gap concept and how to play when the game becomes shorthanded with large blinds, and this point comes way faster than normal. I expected it to be way more of a crapshoot, but like normal SNGs it seems that if you wait out the early maniacs then you can outplay the remainder. You just have to adjust to the new rhythm.

4) They're good to squeeze in when you don't have much time. I haven't had one last more than 50 minutes yet.

Obviously this is a small sample but I definitely think there's good money to be made there, especially considering the rake bonus at $15. As a matter of fact I haven't played any normal SNGs at Stars for the last few days.

skaboomizzy
04-11-2004, 07:40 PM
I did a few of these today, they're an absolute blast.

Highlight of the day: I was down to $1000 in chips with $300/$600 blinds and $50 antes, then the 2nd place guy went all-in and got busted out. Very kind of him considering I was due for the big blind on the next hand.

heyrocker
04-11-2004, 08:05 PM
This is the kind of thing I was talking about. These guys seem to have absolutely no concept of late play. The flip side of this is the guy who just lets himself blind out on the bubble, another thing I see all the time.

It seriously seems like these are attracting a completely different set of players than the normal SNGs of this money level, where this kind of truly awful play seems much more rare. Maybe in a normal SNG these people get knocked out way before the late game begins? I'll take them here personally.