PDA

View Full Version : A slightly wacky hand

05-08-2002, 06:44 PM
This hand was just played a little wackily by the players involoved. I think I might have gotten too agressive, but we'll see what you all think. A fairly typical 4-8 game with a couple of very loose players. EP in the hand in question is a regular who is the type that has picked up one or two plays and uses them to excess at times(free card raise, isolation raise etc.) He's the only person at the table whose play I really know.

Dealt KK in SB. EP, MP limp, CO raises, I reraise, EP caps (WTF!!??) all call.

The flop comes 8h 4d 2c I bet, EP raises, MP folds, CO cold calls, I reraise, both call.

Turn was Qs I bet again, EP raises again, CO cold calls again, I just call this time.

River Jc I check, EP bets and we both call. Results and thoughts below.

EP turns over Q9o of all things, CO turns over AQo and I take down the pot. I figured that with an overpair, I would see the river unless some real scare cards came. With little chance of being against a draw, I figured I should stay agressive. The raise on the turn baffled me a little. In all I think my opponents butchered the play of that hand. The question is whether I did the same. That was one of the stranger hands I've seen in a LL game. Does anyone play more agressively? less? dump the hand? Comments welcome.

05-08-2002, 11:01 PM
"With little chance of being against a draw, I figured I should stay agressive."

Actually, this might be a reason to back off a little. Your opponents continued show of aggression after you have shown your own aggression (both pre-flop and after the flop), should sound the alarm bells that you might be against a big hand, since there is not much else for them to be drawing to. Fortunately, both of your opponents played this one about as bad as it gets.

05-09-2002, 12:37 PM
For some reason I cannot fathom, I have noticed that usually:

Limp then 3-bet = premium hand

Limp then 4-bet/cap = What the frick I got 2 cards too!

For what it is worth, I'd have played it exactly the same way.

Treefrog