PDA

View Full Version : What's a "normal" downslide?

Joe826
04-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Just curious as to what you all think a "normal" downslide would be. Obviously there is no way to give any exact figures, I'm just curious what would be a reasonable slide inspite of good play. I only ask because I've heard so many older players telling me it's inevitable /images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Thanks.

Joe

bisonbison
04-11-2004, 02:33 PM
A winning player can definitely expect losing streaks in excess of 100BB.

BigEndian
04-11-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm a 2BB/hr player over about 200k hands and just dropped 120BB two days ago over a 24 hour period. It's the second largest skid I've had.

Others have never had such a skid. I'm sure it's possible, but not likely to never have such a skid over ones lifetime. That I've had two in 8 months or so probably says something about my play.

I'm just glad I'm having them while at the 2/4, 5/10 tables.

- Jim

Mangatang
04-11-2004, 03:45 PM
The above answers are reasonable. My biggest downswing during the past 6 months is 116 big bets ($2/4 and $3/6).

jasonHoldEm
04-11-2004, 04:08 PM
I've had a 85 BB downswing in one session (and my play was solid, no tilt). I've lost more than 150 BB's in a week.

Average downswing? Maybe 50-100? It depends quite a bit on what level you play since more aggressive games are going to give you bigger swings.

jHE

Dylan Wade
04-11-2004, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That I've had two in 8 months or so probably says something about my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're well aware, but try to remember not to let your swings get out of hand. That is, your 120BB skid maybe should've been only a 50BB skid, but it degenerated into a huge one. The main reason I say this is because it was lost in a 24 hour peroid. In 24 hours, things like emotions and mood can play a factor into your win rate, loss rate, whathaveu...

Since it's happened more than once it's something to consider. I can certainly empathize with those who go on tilt when they're on a downswing. I've been known to make some idiotic plays when my racks have dwindled down to a couple chips. I think a better player would just pick up grab a coffee and do yoga or something.

Joe826
04-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Do these downswings generally drag on over the course of a couple of weeks where you keeping having losing sessions then might win a little bit back etc., or do they generally happen within a matter of a couple of days? Whatever it is, i'm sure it seems like forever..

Tosh
04-11-2004, 05:25 PM
When I first got PokerTracker the first 10,000 hands I tracked had me down.

trillig
04-11-2004, 05:44 PM
IN low limit? What's a downslide? LOL!

Weeks in high stakes happen....

Personally, I can consistantly win at low stakes.... I rarely have an off-day unless playing live, my variance about doubles, but I'm working on that, but it is still low...

Generally at low stakes, I buy-in at 2x what I am willing to lose, if I hit the halfway point, I change tables, or sites, or....

I avoid playing shorthanded also... unless I have already played these foes and know I can run over them.

I highly recommend that strategy!

-Bri

BigEndian
04-11-2004, 07:58 PM
You're right. I don't flip out and shovel chips in the center with 86s (;)), but I do call down way too much paying off when I'm on a downslide. Mainly because I feel like I have a bullseye on my back and everyone wants to take a shot. This probably adds 10-25% the slide when I'm running bad.

"Bummer of a birthmark Hal"

- Jim

Bob T.
04-11-2004, 08:11 PM
I think it is safe to say that everyone that has played a significant amount of time has had a 100 BB slide. I also think that it is very rare for a winning player to have a 200 big bet slide, unless they are playing either shorthanded, or high limits.

If you find yourself experiencing a slide bigger than you are accustomed to, you probably need to take at least a short break, and maybe check and see if your game has changed for the worse.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.