PDA

View Full Version : Phold

M2d
04-10-2004, 04:59 PM
1 up on the back nine at augusta on saturday. uncharted territory? with no eldrick in sight? with a waffling ernie the only big name close to him? what do you think phil's chances are?
Phil's won bigger purses. He's won a ton on tour. He obviously has the game to win on this stage, as some analysts say he has the most talent on tour, bar none.
You (or I, at least) have to at least root for the guy. He's a guy's guy. He gambles, he has dreams of things other than golf. He works hard at his game (despite his physical appearances), but he knows how to have fun.

I think the biggest thing, though, is that he plays the way we all would if we were playing these hallowed courses. Admit it. haven't you ever caught yourself saying "if I ever get a chance to play there, I would never lay up. you have to go for it just to say you did". This guy does it with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line. with his name and legacy on the line. Tres cool.

I, for one, hope he does it. what better stage to break a major drought than the Masters? Not sure if he has the sack, though. for all the times he's won on tour, and for all the times he's amazed us, and for all the times he's said that he wants a major, but that it's not the end of the world, I think the stage really does scare him a bit (as well it should). Maybe, though, this will be the time. frontrunning with few big names behind him seem like a slam dunk setup for Phil. Maybe that just adds to the pressure, though, since it's supposed to be a gimme. we'll see.

BTW, interesting how the most interesting characters in two of my three hobbies are named Phil. Not most likeable. not the best participant. Not the most likely to win, but the most outspoken, true characters.

HDPM
04-10-2004, 05:13 PM
He could do it. Will he? I hope so, but given his track record, until he actually does it...

Clarkmeister
04-10-2004, 05:23 PM
"uncharted territory?"

He's had the lead in this tournament later than this IIRC.

M2d
04-10-2004, 05:34 PM
but not without bigger names chasing him. Now he has Dimarco even with him and Langer (two time champion) just behind. I wouldn't think that those names would put undue pressure on phil, though.

andyfox
04-11-2004, 01:54 AM
He's got the best track record of any active golfer except for Mr. Woods. He has 22 victories. Who has a good track record in majors? Who, among still competitive players, has one more than one major? Not too many.

HDPM
04-11-2004, 02:20 AM
Hmm, I'll try to get them off the top of my head. Olazabel, OMeara, Singh, Daly, Janzen, Faldo (does he count as still competitive? probably not) Els, Hmmm.... Did i get them all? There aren't many. But Phil has been too close and come away empty handed. As opposed to guys who got one like Toms, Weir, Duval, Beem, Curtis, Micheel, etc....

JTrout
04-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Olazabel, OMeara, Singh, Daly, Janzen, Faldo (does he count as still competitive? probably not) Els, Hmmm....
Langer

HDPM
04-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Nick Price.

Wasn't supposed to forget Langer given he's up there on the leaderboard tho.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-11-2004, 08:43 AM
but not without bigger names chasing him.

Huh? There's a guy with 2 green jackets 3 strokes behind him.

andyfox
04-11-2004, 11:59 AM
" . . . Beem, Curtis, Micheel . . .", Jack Flect, Orville Moody, Andy North . . .

Not exactly a who's who list. The all-time greats won mamors in bunches, no doubt. I just think Phil is underrated because he hasn't.

JTrout
04-11-2004, 12:14 PM
How could I forget Nick? He's one of my favorites!

I'm just hoping it goes down to the wire today. and that we get a winner today. The weather looks threatening.

Paul Casey could steal it. He's got a ton of game.

I'd like to see Els get in the mix.

WooHoo! Masters Sunday!