PDA

View Full Version : AKs - Limp, RR 5/10

BigEndian
04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Moderately aggressive table, say 50/50 or better. Seemed like a good time to try out limp/RRing with AKs since I'd never actually done this before.

The table is not particularly good. My opponent will raise limpers with middle pairs and is aggresive.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: BigEndian is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, BigEndian calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">BigEndian 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, BB folds, BigEndian calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, BigEndian calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BigEndian checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BigEndian raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, BigEndian calls.

River: (13.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 15.20 BB, between BigEndian and MP2.</font>

- Jim

Vern
04-10-2004, 05:58 PM
The only thing I see a non-maniac playing this way is AK, QQ, KK or AA. You check raised him twice, and twice he came over the top. He called the river because the J made any T into a straight and any two spades a flush. If he was loose, maybe he plays JTs this way (diamonds?) but I doubt it. If he was holding a pocket pair that missed the board, add him to your buddy list for playing it this way. I think folding on the turn re-raise is the best play unless I know he is a raving maniac.

BigEndian
04-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I agree, when I'm 3-bet on the turn, I'm usually beat. I'm not proud of the extra $20 I put in the pot regardless of the outcome.

- Jim

spamuell
04-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Looks like you're drawing dead when he 3-bets you on the turn, although perhaps not because of your "regardless of the outcome" comment in another reply. But it certainly looks like you are.

Why did you bet out on the river? You would have folded to a raise here, right?

chesspain
04-10-2004, 06:44 PM
I might have just bet out on the turn, called a raise, and then checkcalled the river. Unless he's an idiot (or thinks you're an idiot), he's looking like he's got KK.

tiltboy
04-10-2004, 06:51 PM
What about KQs? I've played that pretty close to the way MP did.

Vern
04-10-2004, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about KQs? I've played that pretty close to the way MP did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you cap with KQs after seeing such an obvious strength play with limp/raise preflop? I just don't see those suited connectors, even KQs capping it PF when someone has shown such obvious strength with the limp/raise play. KQs is a strong hand, but I would rather keep the BB in for when my hand hits than drive him out now by putting his bet in the pot myself. Second, KQ still has you beat on the turn, and is only a small portion of the hands AA, KK, QQ or AK he could have and most of those have you drawing dead.

Recap, after you limp/raised him he caps it. You then lead out on a K high flop and he raises you. You then C/R him on the turn and he again re-raises you. I don't think going to showdown with TPTK under those circumstances is +EV unless you have a solid read on a raving maniac. If I don't have that read, I would rather watch someone else pay to find out than spend the BB's myself. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif