PDA

View Full Version : Limp re-raise with KJs

Alporfavor
04-10-2004, 03:24 PM
This was kinda an experiment, would any of you guys do this pre-flop?

How do you rate my turn/river play?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button raises, SB folds, BB calls, Hero 3-bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button caps, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises, Button folds, Hero 3-bets, MP1 caps, Hero calls.

River: (19.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 21.25 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font>

Moozh
04-10-2004, 03:57 PM
What was your rationale for the limp-reraise? I don't ever use this play, so I don't really know the reasons for it. I think the one time it's used is when you have a Group 1 monster and don't want to scare people away pre-flop on a tight table (then, when it's raised and the pot is bigger, you don't mind scaring people away and winning the pot). It does look like the button may be on a steal attempt, so the three-bet to isolate may be the right idea... I'd like to hear from others on this one.

You got the perfect flop and then the board paired. On the turn, the only hands that beat you are AA, AQ, QQ, QT and TT. All but the QT are usually pre-flop raising hands, so I'd only worry about MP1 holding QT (and maybe TT if he's passive). I think you're ahead enough on the river to warrant a three-bet (thinking that MP1 has a bad Q (hopefully not QT or Q4). But, that may be over aggressive. Did you have any reads on MP1?

Alporfavor
04-11-2004, 01:55 AM
The rational behind it was that there was 4 other players in the pot when it got back to me and my hand would be good more than 20% of the time. Therefore by raising i was making money on the bets that were going in and punishing the others for limping in with crap. The button had been raising with crap so i was planning to exploit that (and therefore wasn't really worried about him having a big hand), though i wasn't expecting him to cap which kicked out the BB. The slight possiblity of isolating the button was also there which would have been good but not something i expected.

I got worried when Mp1 capped since he had been fairly passive thought it was likely that he had filled up.

Nottom
04-11-2004, 04:10 PM
If the button had a habit of raising light, then the limp-raise isn't too awful since you will likely win well more than your share with KJs, although I would prefer to have a slightly better hand (AJs maybe KQs) to make the play.

I think you played fine post flop. At first I thouhgt it was the button raising you on the turn, but after realizing it was MP1 I think you have to 3-bet here since his most likely hand is a Q. When its capped and you are heads-up, you have to start to suspect a boat (or a chop) from an otherwise passive opponent

Alporfavor
04-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah i thought KJs might be not be strong enough for the limp re-raise but i wasn't getting any hands so a kinda jumped the gun a bit.

MP1 showed AA, for aces over queens. He would have loved my limp-re-raise... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif