PDA

View Full Version : Is this river check okay?

JrJordan
04-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Tourney just gettin goin, no real reads yet. Here's the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed)

MP3 (t770)
CO (t775)
Button (t750)
SB (t975)
BB (t850)
UTG (t1520)
Hero (t635)
MP1 (t750)
MP2 (t975)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls t15, MP1 calls t15, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets t100, MP1 calls t100, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls t100.

Turn: (t390) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets t200, MP1 folds, BB calls t200.

River: (t790) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t790

Is the river check ok? I get a little scared when the A comes on the turn and I bet hard, yet he still calls. The only thing I can put him on at that point is a busted flush draw. I have about 300 left in my stack, so it's either check or all in. If he has an ace, he'll call my all in. Any Q w/ weak kicker MIGHT call but most likely not. The flush draw is out too. Anyone disagree with my thinking on this?

Eihli
04-10-2004, 03:07 PM
i don't know... but i disagree with your call pre

La Brujita
04-10-2004, 05:35 PM
I would definitely check the river. The question is whether or not the bet when the ace came on the turn was a good play. I think I might have played it differently, maybe checking but I would not have been playing KQ strong in a multiway pot out of position.

This is an example of how playing marginal hands out of position makes for extremely tough decisions.

Second pair strong kicker is not exactly the hand you want to be risking your survival early on in a tourney.

I would have folded pre flop but if it was KQ suited you can imagine you were in that situation. Weak as this may be I would have made a pot sized bet on the flop and checked the turn. It really is a tough hand to play well.

t_perkin
04-11-2004, 07:06 AM
BB is probably on Axc although if this is a particularly low buyin affair then he could be on a lot of other things.

Your PF call is just about ok I think, but only because it is T15.

However when there this many people in on the flop the odds on you taking it there and then are very slim. I would bet T60 on the flop and then check this down all the way. It is too early to lose so many chips on a weak hand.

You are probably playing too loose aggressive, how did you get yourself down to T635 if this was the first hand of significance?

Tim