PDA

View Full Version : How bad is Party Poker?

Zetack
04-10-2004, 02:23 PM
So after I finished my own session of play last night/early this morning, I wandered over to Party to check things out a little.

I thought I'd observe some play, maybe see how pot sizes correlate to style of play if I ever come over for real and have to start thinking about table selection.

Ok, truthfully I only observed one table for about 2 orbits before I got bored, but--wow, I know you guys have talked about loose...but this was astonishingly bad play. It was like a table full of guys who just had the hand rankings explained to them last week. Ya know the, "oh, I have an Ace in my hand that's pretty good right?" school of play...combined with the, "Hey a king, that's nearly as good as an ace!" train of thought all mixed in with, "Yea, I hit a pair on the flop! I'm glad I played this A-7...and gee, maybe my Ace will pair too!"

One hand that stood out, Three people made it to the river, all either makeing or calling bets on both the turn and the river. The final board (I don't remember the order the cards fell) was A-K-Q-J and some blank. The winner took a rather nice sized pot with A-6 offsuit. One of his opponents had K-9 off and I don't remember what the third guy had, but I guess something that missed the board altogether. Amazing.

Ya know I'm thinking I may have to just shut up with my opinions on various hands, because I'm not sure my experience to date has much relevance to this kind of play. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok, so there is actually a question in all of this. Granted I watched only one table and that for a brief time, but the action seemed really slow...is it fairly typical at Party to be slow or is there a wide variance in the speed of play? Cause if its all that slow, I understand why you guys are playing four tables at a time.

--Zetack

blackaces13
04-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I think the hands at party go way faster than live hands. Sometimes you get a player or 2 who seem to take 10-15 seconds to act everytime but the no dealing/shuffling or handling of anything physical more then make up for that IMO.

Zetack
04-10-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the hands at party go way faster than live hands. Sometimes you get a player or 2 who seem to take 10-15 seconds to act everytime but the no dealing/shuffling or handling of anything physical more then make up for that IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, obviously its gonna be way faster than live play. I Just thought it seemed slow for online play and was wondering if that was a typical experience (I guess a question for people who have played multiple sites?) or just that table.

--Zetack

MicroBob
04-10-2004, 04:19 PM
sometime late last night both of my tables suffered semi-serious slow-downs. we had a little while between hands for about 10 minutes or so (wasn't my connection....appeared to be some modest server issues again). this could have been the time you were watching i suppose.

but most likely, there were a couple of players at the table you were observing who were slow...possibly because they had a bad connection.
remember, out of 10 players at the table, it only takes one with a lousy internet-connection to slow-up the game.
and if 3 or 4 players are taking their full 30 or 40 secs (or whatever it is) then you have plenty of time to get to some side-projects while playing (like remodeling the house).

B&M play you can expect 25-30 hds an hour (probably at the max).
party tables can be 50-60 hds and hour. play 4 tables at a time and you're talking 200 hds an hour.

Webster
04-10-2004, 09:58 PM
with over 10,000 hands at a full ring Party is one of the faster places I play at 63 hands per hour.

UB is faster but tighter. The tighter the games the faster the play (normally)

Chris Daddy Cool
04-10-2004, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so there is actually a question in all of this. Granted I watched only one table and that for a brief time, but the action seemed really slow...is it fairly typical at Party to be slow or is there a wide variance in the speed of play? Cause if its all that slow, I understand why you guys are playing four tables at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's usually people with slow connections, like me, that slow down the game, which is why I dont play Party. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hiding
04-11-2004, 01:23 AM
I average right at 55 hands an hour at one table